View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 10:39 AM

A question for peeps with curly hair.....what hair products doyou use?

I have naturally curly hair..not mega curly but soft gentle curls but the only problem being is the longer my hair gets the straighter on the top it gets and I generally have to wash my hair everyday (or put it up but its at a bob stage so putting up is difficult) - for those of you that have curly hair (natural or permed) what hair products do you use ie: shampoo/conditioner/mousse/gel etc etc

Ta
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 10:44 AM
Tescos shampoo 59p a litre and occasionally vitapointe leave in conditioner (once a month or less). Then I leave my hair to dry naturally and only ever use a comb when it is wet.

I used to use every expensive treatment I could find and found absolutely no difference in my hair at all. Using no conditioner stops it getting flat on top.

Sadly these days hairdressers seem obsessed with straightening hair and don't seem to know how to cut to curl.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 11:22 AM
May not be the answer you are looking for but.............I used to have a natural affro. It always looked a wild mess. This by the way was in the days of "beehives" and "bouffants"
Well then I got pregnant and my hair went straight, I haven't as much as a wave in it now
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 11:29 AM
I don't use anything special tbh. I have used Elvive, the orange bottle, but probably only as it was on offer lol
My friend has very very curly hair and she uses John Frieda, which I have bought in the past but it's still sat in the cupboard as mine really doesn't need that much taming.

My hairdresser knows never to try and straighten mine, it just doesn't look right at all, we just work with it. It's not very long at the mo, but is growing so is a bit hard to tame at the mom.

Here it is in it's natural state......

RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 05:18 PM
My hair has quite a natural wave - or will if I let it!!

I swap around quite a lot, but for about 12 months now I have been using Toni & Guy - the pink bottles and then after washing I use the tame-it serum, a little tiny bit smoothed onto wet hair before drying. A bottle lasts for months and I have found that it really works for me.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 08:12 PM
My hair is naturally curly and I use John Frieda Collection Frizz Ease. Have tried lots of other products (cheaper) but they just arent as good. Boots often have "buy 3 for the price of 2" on the John Frieda stuff so I stock up when the offer is on (usually every couple of months or so).

I use the Shampoo, then Conditioner and then comb a little JF Frizz Ease Mousse through my hair, then I pull my hair back (as if to put it in a pony tail and then twist the hair round my finger until I have a loosely twisted bun, then put a scruchie round the bun to hold it in place. I have long thick hair so takes hours to dry and then when I let the bun down, it is soft waves rather than heavy curls, if that makes any sense.

I would need to wash my hair every day if I didn't comb my hair gently in the morning and then spray on a little JF Frizz Ease Emergency Treatment (leave-in conditioning spray).

I wash my hair about every four days and I get lots of positive comments on my hair (since I started using the Frizz Ease stuff) so I would give it a try - if you haven't already.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2008, 08:20 PM
I have a natural curl to my hair, but I use straighteners on it to get it flat.

I use Pantene products, shampoo and conditioner and once a week an intensive conditioning mask to give it a boost. I also use a heat defence spray by Tresemme before blow-drying to protect it.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2008, 08:36 PM
Can't really help Steph, coz I have poker straight, baby fine hair, but the best product you can get to "tame" any hair is the Bedhead can of "HeadRush" shine. It's in a pink can and it's about £13 but worth every penny, it seems to add pure silk to any hair type!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2008, 09:09 PM
I straighten, straighten, straighten, if I have it curly i just leave it, I don't use anything special, just wash, towel dry and scrunch ever few mins 'til it's fully dry, maybe add a wee bit of any mousse but that gives it that lovely crispy effect. Have tried loads of curl sprays and they seem to make very little difference to if I just left it.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 10:35 AM
I use any shampoo and condition, as long as my scalp can take it and have to use a special one every now and again as i have excema on my scalp.

I use any sort of hair serum and leave it to dry naturally. I also have a lot of the weight cut out of the top (my hair is layered) otherwise the weight of it pulls the top half straight and the bottom half is curly.