Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hippy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-01-2016, 09:10 AM

Dog throwing up /regurgitating

Hi,

Maya is a two year old lab and healthy. Occasionally she eats her food, then promptly throws it all back up. Sometimes, it is several hours after eating but again, it is undigested food. She shows no other signs of being unwell, is full of life and pooping normally! The only thing is that once she has thrown up after eating, she is hungry, or certainly pestering me for food but if I give her anything else in the next few hours, she promptly throws it up again! She has always been back to normal in twelve hours.
It happens infrequently about once a week, two weeks or maybe even a month! Usually a once off but sometimes maybe 2 or three times in a week.
Is this normal?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-01-2016, 09:46 AM
Hello Beatrice welcome . I wouldn't be too concerned with this behaviour if Maya is fit and well.

Does she eat her food fast , I would slow down her eating with a special bowl/ a large stone in her bowl/feeding with a kong.
Also how many meals do you feed, with some dogs eating a lot of food in one go or too quickly can overload the stomach so I would try splitting her meal allowance into two or even three so that she doesn't get too hungry and gulp a lot of food in one go.

Also is she fed with another dog near her , this can sometimes encourage regurgitation as the dog eats quickly to get its share.

And finaly what are you feeding her , maybe it is a food she had difficulty digesting.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

20-01-2016, 01:52 PM
I was going to ask what you are feeding her too..
hippy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2016, 08:14 AM
Hi,,

I am feeding her twice daily, Tesco dried food with little bits of chicken and/or wet food. I don't vary her diet much as when I do, it is very explosive at the other end!
I will look out for a big stone to put in her bowl as she does eat very fast.