Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rileymom
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-01-2016, 04:17 PM

Dog has bladder carcinoma (cancer)

My dog was diagnosed about 1 1/2 months ago. Vet called me with the shocking news. Due to the distance from the clinic they couriered me Piroxicam to give my dog for 10 days. The only symptoms he showed was bloody urine and occasional incontinence. He continues to show these symptoms and is behaving completely normal. Eating, sleeping, playing! We are going for an update appointment this evening but we are going to Riley's regular vet instead of the vet we saw for last appointment when he was diagnosed. (Not happy with her lack of information!)Wondering if anyone can shed some advice on what I should be asking about and what supplements/treatments may have helped? Any help would be so great right now as it's been a very stressful time.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2016, 04:24 PM
Hi Rileymom, I haven't got any advice, but I do feel sorry for you. That must have come as an awful shock.
I would be asking, the prognosis, treatment options and what to be looking out for.
I hope you get some answers.
rileymom
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-01-2016, 04:44 PM
It's been difficult. I have done a lot of internet searching for information but there is just too much to take in. A lot of conflicting advice of what to do and what not to do! His regular vet is super great to deal with so I am hoping he'll give us all the advice we need.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

08-01-2016, 07:40 PM
Cancer is a horrible disease

The first thing I would do if any dog I owned had cancer would be to put them on a species appropriate diet. I felt that my dog's own growth actually slowed considerably when he was on a raw diet - as soon as I introduced rice into his diet his growth started to multiply again.

This is a good thread on a RAW diet for dogs, though you might want to run things by your vet in case it conflicts with medication http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=137215 (we did not give our dog any meds apart from antibiotics and pain relief towards the end).
rileymom
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-01-2016, 12:43 AM
No better news. Vet was very informative and so patient. Riley has months to live based on statistics. He is behaving normal so we are hoping that he continues to live pain free. He will take Metacam as needed. I would like to help with diet, supplements, etc. but unsure where to start. My heart is shattered so I am praying for a miracle!
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-02-2016, 09:17 AM
So sorry Rileymom, I am browsing to look for advice on my dog's health, so I have an idea what you are going through. Give him a good life in the time you have left, he knows he is loved and that Mom will do her best.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful.