old. He has a very long, quite pale coat & is a little
monkey, so we're sure that once he's allowed out for
"proper" walks he will get filthy. Today I gently put him
in our large kitchen sink with an inch or two of warm
water to wash his legs. I did it quickly & gave him a treat
but he really wasnt happy about it, so next time I'll try
him in the bath. Does anyone have any advice
about first baths that might help Mojo enjoy (or at
least accept) being bathed occasionally?
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-11-2015, 03:06 PM
Think it could have been the fact that it was in the sink. I'd be inclined to make first adventures of the sudsy kind to be at ground level. Perhaps out side, a shallow tray of some sort, which you could leave in situ and just add the water as required. Mojo would then be used to seeing this object and not consider it to be something "new and 'orrid" of course treats/praise would be required as you did previously. Feel sure he'll come round very quickly, most Goldens I've come across are addicted to any kind of water - although usually they are swamp donkeys and love slutchy puddles! lol ! Enjoy!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-11-2015, 04:38 PM
Hmm I've always used the bath with a big old towel in the bottom so they don't slip about and panic, then use the shower attachment to wet them without having them standing in water. Shampoo them avoiding the eyes, chatting in a bright voice the whole time while kneeling on the floor so you're almost down at their level. Rinse them off and wring them out as much as possible before lifting them out and making a big game of drying them off, they all prefer being dried to being washed but they just get on with it tbh.
He might well get filthy on walks but tbh it will mostly brush out when dry so don't think you have to bathe him too often.
kitla
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-11-2015, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'd prefer using the bath really but am afraid that if he comes in sooo mucky that he needs a bath, then getting muddy him upstairs may be an issue. We do have one of those old tin tubs, praps I could let him play
in there to get used to it.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

06-11-2015, 09:46 AM
If he gets that muddy them get him used to hosing his legs off with the hosepipe outside, the more you do it the more he will get used to it, then find a place in the house for him to dry off , OR just leave it to dry and brush off,
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2015, 10:39 AM
We use a bucket and plastic baby bath for really muddy, (or even worse) jobs. We have a ring fixed to the wall, and attach the dog this while we gather the warm water and towels.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

06-11-2015, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
If he gets that muddy them get him used to hosing his legs off with the hosepipe outside, the more you do it the more he will get used to it, then find a place in the house for him to dry off , OR just leave it to dry and brush off,
If mine were really bad I'd come back to the car via the lake let them paddle and then walk through the long grass to take the worst of the water off. We have a big waterproof dog bed in the boot with a removable fleece cover which is easily washed. None of mine ever thought much of being hosed down unless it was a heatwave. We come in via the side access and they have a big dog bed in the conservatory where they can dry off in front of the heater.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

06-11-2015, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
If mine were really bad I'd come back to the car via the lake let them paddle and then walk through the long grass to take the worst of the water off. We have a big waterproof dog bed in the boot with a removable fleece cover which is easily washed. None of mine ever thought much of being hosed down unless it was a heatwave. We come in via the side access and they have a big dog bed in the conservatory where they can dry off in front of the heater.
Yes I have preety much the same routine. Can you imagine Figo all wet and muddy, ...he does not like the hose either, but it would be my choice if I did not have other facilities , don't fancy taking a wet muddy hairy dog up to your bathroom. You would spend every day doing nothing but cleaning.

I have a shower room off the laundry that is now exclusively Figos
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

06-11-2015, 11:33 AM
Figo would give me nightmares covered in mud The last hairy dog I had was a cocker spaniel back in the late 70's early 80's he put me right off hairy dogs as he was a total muck magnet.
I had what I think was called a Dri bag for him, a big towelling bag that he was zipped into and that took the worst of the muck and moisture. I just had a look and they still exist http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DPH5ZJ...BQ2VT8JMSVB0BJ
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

06-11-2015, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Figo would give me nightmares covered in mud The last hairy dog I had was a cocker spaniel back in the late 70's early 80's he put me right off hairy dogs as he was a total muck magnet.
I had what I think was called a Dri bag for him, a big towelling bag that he was zipped into and that took the worst of the muck and moisture. I just had a look and they still exist http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DPH5ZJ...BQ2VT8JMSVB0BJ

yes I have seen those, I have vet bed in the boot of the car that catches a lot of dirt and water, I just allow him to dry off , and brush it out , he gets a bath once a week whether he is showing or not,
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >