Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2011, 11:54 PM

IE 9 for Windows 7

Just downloaded this tonight on the laptop. No doubt will get used to it but once again MS leave you trying to figure out where everything is - favourites are now on the right hand side

Anyone else got it yet?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-05-2011, 05:12 AM
ive been using firefox about 4 yrs
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-05-2011, 05:17 AM
I have downloaded IE9 but only as a second back-up browser, Chrome being my first back-up browser.

I use Firefox 4 as I use certain scripts and bookmarklets which have been specifically built for Firefox - first 3.6 and now updated for FF 4 - and those, together with certain very necessary add-ons [especially Greasemonkey and Stylish] are specific for Firefox only.

It is quicker, simpler to put the layout of toolbars, and easier to hide them except when they are needed, thus not cluttering up the monitor and taking space from the actual reading pane.

It depends on what you want. I want a good, fast browser with what I consider necessary add-ons, so I use Mozilla Firefox. Just as I use Mozilla Thunderbird for my emails.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 08:02 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
It depends on what you want. *I want a good, fast browser with what I consider necessary add-ons, so I use Mozilla Firefox. *Just as I use Mozilla Thunderbird for my emails.
Does their email come free? I bought MS Office. *Outlook or Outlook Express no longer standard, you get a trial period & once thats up, if you still want it, you have to*Pay an additional £100 to keep the rights of it. I didnt do it, i think thats OTT when you have already paid for Office. I miss it though

How much different is Firefox to say Safari & Explorer?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 08:11 AM
Just had a major glitch with it. For some reason, the newest upgrade download throws Messenger into a tiz.

Unfortunately, need Messenger so have had to remove the upgrade to make things work smoothly again

IE9/Vista combination throws up a lot of compatibility issues. Probably so with Windows 7 as well, but the W7 computer is son's and he doesn't use the internet too much
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-05-2011, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Does their email come free? I bought MS Office. *Outlook or Outlook Express no longer standard, you get a trial period & once thats up, if you still want it, you have to*Pay an additional £100 to keep the rights of it. I didnt do it, i think thats OTT when you have already paid for Office. I miss it though

How much different is Firefox to say Safari & Explorer?
Mozilla Thunderbird is free. You can download it from:

http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/

I have no idea about Safari as a browser as I am more than satisfied with Mozilla Firefox. As I said, IE is my second back-up in case Firefox has a problem [which so far it has not done in all the years I have been using it], Chrome being my first back-up browser.

According to my computer guy IE9 is more secure than previous versions were but he still recommended I use Chrome as my browser back-up, both, of course, already being installed when I changed from XP Pro to Windows 7.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Just had a major glitch with it. For some reason, the newest upgrade download throws Messenger into a tiz.

Unfortunately, need Messenger so have had to remove the upgrade to make things work smoothly again

IE9/Vista combination throws up a lot of compatibility issues. Probably so with Windows 7 as well, but the W7 computer is son's and he doesn't use the internet too much
I only downloaded it last night but apart from usual hassle of not knowing where things where, it appeared to work ok with W7. Time will tell!! I tend to use the netbook more - wont download it onto the netbook, only download bare minimum onto it as space so tight.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-05-2011, 04:15 PM
I had it for all of 3 days then reverted back to 8.

Couldnt stand things being in the wrong place and oddly i lost my electronic 'click' (i use a laptop) when you click on something.

I did find it loaded pages up a little faster when you disable certain plug ins,but on the whole i think its crap and the bad things outweigh the good.
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Have to say I hated it and took it off straight away! I don't like change on the computer at all.
Will be interesting to see if anyone really likes it!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 06:22 PM
I use chrome.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >