register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What do you think of the Grand National?
I think it should stay but changes need to be made 70 56.45%
I think it should stay with no changes 8 6.45%
I bet on it 16 12.90%
I don't bet on it 29 23.39%
I don't care one way or the other. 1 0.81%
I think it should be abolished 43 34.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 11 of 29 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 > Last »
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Guide dogs have a re-homing policy for all their dogs that don't make the grade, I forget the name of the initiative. They go to homes as companion, buddy dogs.
So do breeders, but they are castigated for it! EXACTLY the same, no use, get rid!!
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2011, 07:24 PM
How does that de-value it's life?
The same way a sheep is not a house pet? A rabbit that is killed is not a house pet? A Pheasant is not a house pet? The food in your dog's food wasn't a house pet?
Azz
Administrator
Male 

11-04-2011, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Back to my point, a Horse is not a house pet!
Why would that make it ok to use and abuse them?

In my book all animals should be treated with the respect and care they deserve, as humans it's our duty to look after the planet and _all_ of it's inhabitants.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Why would that make it ok to use and abuse them?

In my book all animals should be treated with the respect and care they deserve, as humans it's our duty to look after the planet and _all_ of it's inhabitants.
Why is ok to use service dogs Azz? Why is it ok for use to make them fetch, carry persistently all day and night, every single day of their lives? Then, when they cant do it anymore, they are got rid of. Why is that ok for you, because they live in a house?

There isnt any intentional abuse in Horse racing, I doubt the planet you speak of has any other animal on it treated better than they are. Its a risk, not a guarantee, not a certainty by any means.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 07:33 PM
So do breeders, but they are castigated for it! EXACTLY the same, no use, get rid!!
Breeders breed for money. Service dogs are bred to serve and be responsible for people's lives (in most cases). Again, the two are not comparible.

Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
The same way a sheep is not a house pet? A rabbit that is killed is not a house pet? A Pheasant is not a house pet? The food in your dog's food wasn't a house pet?
But these kills are for food. Horses dying in horse racing die in vain.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 07:34 PM
KW, you're about as popular as a brussell sprout on here. You and I never have any interaction until someone has a go at me and then you have a little pop yourself. Grow a pair dude.
But I like Brussell sprouts
Thats the only input I'm having here I've had to start blood pressure tablets today as it is!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 07:34 PM
Why is ok to use service dogs Azz? Why is it ok for use to make them fetch, carry persistently all day and night, every single day of their lives? Then, when they cant do it anymore, they are got rid of. Why is that ok for you, because they live in a house?

There isnt any intentional abuse in Horse racing, I doubt the planet you speak of has any other animal on it treated better than they are. Its a risk, not a guarantee, not a certainty by any means.
Name me one charity that condone this? I'm starting to think you don't know anything about service dogs at all if you think this.

I work in this area and can assure you that animal welfare is of equal priority to the service user.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2011, 07:36 PM

No, they are killed for fun, for our enjoyment.

The horse were not killed on piupose. There is a difference
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post

No, they are killed for fun, for our enjoyment.

The horse were not killed on piupose. There is a difference
What are you talking about???
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Breeders breed for money. Service dogs are bred to serve and be responsible for people's lives (in most cases). Again, the two are not comparible.
Oh I see, so its the money you have problem with, people should sell dogs and horses for nothing? Did you buy your dog?

Service dogs are produced solely and entirely to serve people, the majority of show bred dogs go into pet homes, did you not know that?
Page 11 of 29 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 > Last »