Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Cracks me up - ''I only kill vermin because I'm doing my good deed for mankind''.

Riiiiight, you keep telling yourself that then while that animal's life is wiped out from underneath it because YOU decide it needs to be.

God delusions or what.

Oh and deer are not classed as vermin - ''"Vermin" is a term not defined in law but may include destructive species that cause damage to field crops or property (rabbits, mink, stoat, weasel, brown rat and grey squirrel). Vermin may also be used to refer to certain species of birds as wood pigeon, rook and crow.''
Do you have any idea the amount of disease that can be spread by rats? If they weren't controlled do you think that would be a nice ending?

It's not a case of God delusions. It's case of Human Beings being at the top of the food chain. They control the majority of species on this planet, rightly or wrongly. Wolves and Bears have been removed from the UK. Rabbits and Grey Squirrels have been introduced. Nothing about the wildlife in Britain is natural anymore, once something alien is introduced or indiginous species removed then there has to be another form of control. If rabbits and Rats were left uncontrolled crops would fail and disease would be rife. A lot of people would suffer. So it comes back to survival of the fittest and as Humans have superior brain power, then we will win, which isn't always a good thing, but it's still a fact of life at present. Something or someone always suffers in the end, it's just the way of the world.

Hypothetically, if you lost a child due to starvation because we had no food due to the planet being over run by rabbits (because they were no longer hunted) eating all the crops how would you feel? Would you still say the rabbit deserves a chance to live, even after it had taken precedence over your child? A very far fetched idea, but you get the point. Every species will do everything in it's power to survive and this is our way - control. One animal has to die for another to live, survival of the fittest. It's part of nature.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Truth be known-many farmers/landowners/tennants dont get involved in pest control due to lack of time so instead get people like myself to do.

Buzzards are a common sight round here,but even they cannot keep up with the woodpigeon/rabbit population.Foxes tend to prey on pheasants and domestic poultry.

buzzards dont usually prey pigeons so they wont do much good keeping those in control, and sorry youre totally wrong foxes feed mainly on rabbits and rodents....no wonder theyre persecuted if farmers etc dont even know the ecology of the animal

In rural areas of Britain, 45% to 70% of the diet of foxes is made up by rabbits. During its lifetime, by eating rabbits each fox might be worth £150-£900 in increased revenue to farmers.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Rabbits and Grey Squirrels have been introduced
OK, so let's blame the Romans.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest View Post
OK, so let's blame the Romans.
Aye that'll do nicely. I'm more than likely Anglo-Saxon anyway!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-10-2010, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by NOUSHKA05 View Post
buzzards dont usually prey pigeons so they wont do much good keeping those in control, and sorry youre totally wrong foxes feed mainly on rabbits and rodents....no wonder theyre persecuted if farmers etc dont even know the ecology of the animal

In rural areas of Britain, 45% to 70% of the diet of foxes is made up by rabbits. During its lifetime, by eating rabbits each fox might be worth £150-£900 in increased revenue to farmers.
Is that so! So when im pigeon shooting and buzzards attack my decoys they're doing it for fun??? You're so wrong and atleast i know what im talking about!

Foxes are opportunists and will eat whatever food source is available and do not prey solely on rabbits/rodents.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-10-2010, 10:28 PM
Is that so! So when im pigeon shooting and buzzards attack my decoys they're doing it for fun??? You're so wrong and atleast i know what im talking about!

Foxes are opportunists and will eat whatever food source is available and do not prey solely on rabbits/rodents.
im sure buzzards do attack your decoys but pigeons are not their main source of prey as i said ....and i never said foxes do prey soley on rabbits and rodents i said that its their main source of food as studies have shown
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-10-2010, 10:57 PM
im sure buzzards do attack your decoys but pigeons are not their main source of prey as i said ....and i never said foxes do prey soley on rabbits and rodents i said that its their main source of food as studies have shown
Like i said before,foxes are opportunists and will feed on whatever food source is available-hence why they prey on domestic poultry and game birds,but also why they now live in suburbia feeding on our rubbish.I do have the greatest respect for them because there arent that many animals which can adapt so easily.

Back to deer though.The easiest way of thinking about it is-they have no natural predator due to us hunting wolves and bears to extinction 2 centuries ago so humans have taken over the role of their natural selection.There really are very strict rules concerning deer stalking like minimum calibre rifle,shot placement and in the preperation (gralloching).
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-10-2010, 11:04 PM
Like i said before,foxes are opportunists and will feed on whatever food source is available-hence why they prey on domestic poultry and game birds,but also why they now live in suburbia feeding on our rubbish.I do have the greatest respect for them because there arent that many animals which can adapt so easily.

Back to deer though.The easiest way of thinking about it is-they have no natural predator due to us hunting wolves and bears to extinction 2 centuries ago so humans have taken over the role of their natural selection.There really are very strict rules concerning deer stalking like minimum calibre rifle,shot placement and in the preperation (gralloching).
ive never said that deer dont need to be controlled i said i think trophy hunters are sick and depraved and they give deer management a bad name
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-10-2010, 11:17 PM
ive never said that deer dont need to be controlled i said i think trophy hunters are sick and depraved and they give deer management a bad name
I think you'll find though that trophy hunters are often poachers and the days of mounted heads on library walls are rare.Like i said previously,i have several friends who deer stalk and none of them are intrested in this side of it.

Deer poaching is on the increase sadly due to venison commanding such high prices.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 07:24 AM
Still seeing no justification for killing deer, but please, carry on trying.
Page 12 of 51 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 > Last »