Our sister sites
Our sister sites
phazyme
New Member!
Male 

25-03-2013, 09:24 PM

New Onset Agressive Attacking Behavior in Year Old Female Golden Doodle

Important Question- Need Help
I have 4 dogs ages 4,3,1.5,1year. They are Miniature Schnauzer, Miniature Schnauzer, Golden Doodle, Golden Doodle respectively. One male (3yr), all the rest females. These dogs have been living together for over a year. Never had a problem. The male Min. Schnauzer is the a-dog. 2 weeks ago the 4 dogs were outside in their 1 acre running area, when the a-dog was growling at the other 3, resulitng in an attack by the Golden Doodle (1year) on the smallest female Schnauzer (4year), lacerating its neck requiring $2000 emergency surgery. The schnauzer recovered, and was kept separated from the other dogs. When the aggressor is kept in a crate all the dogs get along just fine as they always did. When the agressor Doodle is introduced the Schnauzer trembles in fear, and the Agressor Doodle takes attack stance. Any ideas would be appreciated. We are on the verge of placing the Golden with another family. It is the sweetest, nicest dog around people, and other animals- until now. I should also say that prior to this, the little Schnauzer (4) would run after the doodle incessantly as if in love. And then- whamo!. If anyone has an ideas they would be greatly appreciated and I can add more description to this case if questions. We love all these dogs, but clearly without a solution the Doodle agressor will need to go. By the way the other doodle (18m) has never this issue. Thanks.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2013, 09:27 PM
Are any of the neutered?
phazyme
New Member!
Male 

25-03-2013, 10:21 PM
All spayed and neutered.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Hello Peter , have you had aggressive Doodle checked by a vet to rule out any medical problem which might be causing pain.

So the fight was between two bitches?
I am afraid bitches sometimes take a dislike to each other, when this happens it can be very difficult to do anything about it.

I know it is a difficult decision to make but if you have a good home for the aggressive Doodle I would consider re homing her.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2013, 08:03 AM
I would agree with Mini, rule out any medical reasons.

At one year old your Doodle is mentally maturing. When bitches fallout it is often very difficult to get them over it. If you can't separate them and keep them all happy re-homing might be your only option.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2013, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by phazyme View Post
Important Question- Need Help
I have 4 dogs ages 4,3,1.5,1year. They are Miniature Schnauzer, Miniature Schnauzer, Golden Doodle, Golden Doodle respectively. One male (3yr), all the rest females. These dogs have been living together for over a year. Never had a problem. The male Min. Schnauzer is the a-dog. 2 weeks ago the 4 dogs were outside in their 1 acre running area, when the a-dog was growling at the other 3, resulitng in an attack by the Golden Doodle (1year) on the smallest female Schnauzer (4year), lacerating its neck requiring $2000 emergency surgery. The schnauzer recovered, and was kept separated from the other dogs. When the aggressor is kept in a crate all the dogs get along just fine as they always did. When the agressor Doodle is introduced the Schnauzer trembles in fear, and the Agressor Doodle takes attack stance. Any ideas would be appreciated. We are on the verge of placing the Golden with another family. It is the sweetest, nicest dog around people, and other animals- until now. I should also say that prior to this, the little Schnauzer (4) would run after the doodle incessantly as if in love. And then- whamo!. If anyone has an ideas they would be greatly appreciated and I can add more description to this case if questions. We love all these dogs, but clearly without a solution the Doodle agressor will need to go. By the way the other doodle (18m) has never this issue. Thanks.
Hi Something must have altered in the pack hierachy,are any of the females due to have a season yet,When my late father used to race greyhounds,the males would become aggresive amongst themselves,he had only one bitch Magic Wanda,but when she came into season,World War 3 would break out,the males couldnt race as there brains were back a the kennel,they would pick fights,and this would be well before we actually saw any signs of her coming into season,My dad used to say its a shame that Wanda cant race,she would win every time as she ran from the males.crystalgirl
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-03-2013, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hello Peter , have you had aggressive Doodle checked by a vet to rule out any medical problem which might be causing pain.

So the fight was between two bitches?
I am afraid bitches sometimes take a dislike to each other, when this happens it can be very difficult to do anything about it.

I know it is a difficult decision to make but if you have a good home for the aggressive Doodle I would consider re homing her.
I am afraid I have to agree with Mini, if we are talking bitch on bitch, then the likelihood of ever resolving this between them is not good, as you have found out the aggressor means business , and fights between btichs can lead to serious injury or even death.

If you have a good home waiting them it may be the safe option for all concerned. I would also try to make sure the new home has no female dogs , better with a male if they have any.

I would first get her examined by the vet , just to make sure nothing is wrong with her, but dont bank on it solving the problem.
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-03-2013, 01:17 PM
the situation will take a lot of management and probably remove all the fun of dog ownership so I have to agree with Mini (the moocher)