Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cduval04
New Member!
Female 

11-12-2010, 03:23 PM

13 yr old mutt.....weird symptoms..plz help out

hi everyone,
I am new to this forum but have owned a dog my whole life. My current dog is a 13yr old lab shepard beagle mix we got her when she was 6wks old and she has been a treasure. she has never been sick (she had a fatty lypoma removed from her side, it was benign, but the vet just didnt want it to start "running into" stuff. The only other time we have taken her to the vet is when I was trying to shut the door when the mailman cam and I stepped on her food and her whole nail came off down to the quik (kitchen looked like a murder scene ) but better than the mailman suing u for ur life lol.

so the past few days she has had these dry hacking episodes that at the end of the it sounds like when she pukes, but nothing comes up. these last about 10-15 seconds they only happen about once a day, maybe twice. Another thing is she has been visiting her water bowl ALOT more than usual. and then yesterday, really scary, her back legs started giving out on her, she falls all over the place when she walks. She has a history of 3-4 seizures when she was young, and then never happened again, of course she is alone a lot of the day so I don't know if any have ever occured when we are not home, she is still eating and doesnt seem to be in pain but it is hard to tell..we are going to the vet in 2 hours.

she has a history of eating her poop for most of her life (no we dont underfeed her)we think it may have been a habit from puppyhood that never dissapated.

I am afraid that the lab in her has finally doomed her to arthritis, but considering the sudden onset, do you think this could be something that is curable? I know shes old but we just lost our cat of 17yrs less than 8 weeks ago and I can't do another one this soon, but yet we are all worried because of her age, despite that she has been totally healthy her whole life.

any ideas of a dx I might expect from the vet? maybe a stroke, or parasite? something curable that doesnt have her in the grave already?? hoping
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2010, 03:29 PM
hi and welcome

a trip to the vet is in order firstly there are alot of things to help ease your dogs arthritis,talk to your vet.
there a numerous things the coughing could be down to.my first thought is her heart...heart conditions can often be managed so dont right her off yet
another thing is a collapsed trachea happens quite a lot with older dogs.
and there is also kennel cough,bronchitis,parasites,allergy the list goes on.

i wish you luck later at the vets..let us know how you get on
cduval04
New Member!
Female 

11-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
hi and welcome

a trip to the vet is in order firstly there are alot of things to help ease your dogs arthritis,talk to your vet.
there a numerous things the coughing could be down to.my first thought is her heart...heart conditions can often be managed so dont right her off yet
another thing is a collapsed trachea happens quite a lot with older dogs.
and there is also kennel cough,bronchitis,parasites,allergy the list goes on.

i wish you luck later at the vets..let us know how you get on

thanks...I will let you know what happens at the vet...I have web on my phone, so if anyone else wants to post I can check it at the vet...
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2010, 04:16 PM
I agree a trip to the vets asap.

My first thought was heart too........if it were my oldie I'd get her fully checked over xxxxxx

Best wishes xxxx
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2010, 04:36 PM
As others have said, could be many things. I originally thought heart but maybe stroke because of her collapsing back legs. Hope visit to the vet is a positive one and that all will be well. Good luck xx
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 09:45 AM
How did it go?