Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
runnershigh
New Member!
Female 

21-12-2011, 04:41 PM

Country Dog Won't Urinate Anywhere In City

I brought home a shy, timid, 1yr female collie/dalmation/cattle dog mix on Monday afternoon(it is now weds--noon). She has pooped once and has not urniated anywhere since her arrival home. At the shelter, she was let out 3x per day. She was free to roam the field and do her thing. At first I figured she was scared and trying to adjust and that is why she hasn't urniated, but now it's been 45 hours and she has not went. I have taken her on long walks. short walks, and even tired to to the post outside so she can move about the back yard. I am scared she won't urniate around me ( as she won't eat her food around me either because she is shy) and that she is not used to urniating on a leash or lead. Also, she is not drinking much (about 12oz per day) Any ideas what I should do or what is wrong?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by runnershigh View Post
I brought home a shy, timid, 1yr female collie/dalmation/cattle dog mix on Monday afternoon(it is now weds--noon). She has pooped once and has not urniated anywhere since her arrival home. At the shelter, she was let out 3x per day. She was free to roam the field and do her thing. At first I figured she was scared and trying to adjust and that is why she hasn't urniated, but now it's been 45 hours and she has not went. I have taken her on long walks. short walks, and even tired to to the post outside so she can move about the back yard. I am scared she won't urniate around me ( as she won't eat her food around me either because she is shy) and that she is not used to urniating on a leash or lead. Also, she is not drinking much (about 12oz per day) Any ideas what I should do or what is wrong?
I am assuming this dog has been vetchecked as perfectly healthy with no underlying medical conditions which could account for her behaviour?

If not, then please do this as a priority.

If yes, then you need to consider the following/

I would add a teeny touch of milk or, better still, some stock cube or even dog gravy to the water, just enough to what we call "bait" it to encourage the dog to drink more.

The more she drinks the quicker she will need to elminate.

If she was strata specific in kennels eg she only emptied on grass, have you made sure that grass is available?

If no grass is available, a strip of artificial grass may get her started.

You may also wish to consider putting her on a harness with a VERY long line so she can put sufficient distance between you if proximity is the issue rather than strata.

HTH
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2011, 12:42 AM
Agree with above - if you haven't seen vet, you need to ASAP.
runnershigh
New Member!
Female 

28-12-2011, 07:05 PM
She finally started going! First once per day, now 2x per day-- never more.

A long leash didn't help, an open field with no attachments didn't help, just time.