Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2005, 08:17 AM

Advice on flea control please?

Hi all. I stopped using Frontline last November as I believed it may have been causing skin problems as they seemed to scratch more after being done than before. Anyway, all has been well on the scratching front, but I am now in a dilema as to what to use now please. I intend giving them both a good bath in a good flea shampoo on Sunday when we have a hot day forecast (ha!) but obviously need something else to keep them protected. One of my dogs has wet ecezma which I now keep under control (no steroids or antibiotics for 4 months now! whereas he was at the vets on a weekly basis before I got him) I was toying with the idea of flea collars on both of them, but am worried this may set off his ecezma again? Any advice, or ideas would be greatfully received. Thanks.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2005, 08:21 AM
What about program? It's a pill you give once a month, we used it with our Cavalier and I never saw a single flea on him. We use Stronghold on Archie, which is similar to frontline I think.

Also this could be an old wive's tale but a lot of people recommend Garlic.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-04-2005, 08:23 AM
We have never had a flea problem, touch wood, even though they mix with a lot of other dogs. Garlic added to their meals is supposed to guard against fleas. You do need to treat everything in the home, carpets, dogs' bedding, furniture, etc. if you have an infestation, or get the pest control people in to 'bomb' your home. I do not like the idea of flea collars.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2005, 08:31 AM
When I was at college, we were learning about parasites etc.
Flea collars do not generally work. The best place for them is inside your hoover bag/cylinder.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2005, 08:48 AM
We've started adding a little garlic powder a couple of times a week

heard it from a few people so interested to see if it works or not
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2005, 10:36 AM
Teagan has garlic cloves in her tea, and I make her liver cake with garlic powder.
I don't treat her for fleas any other way, and she interacts with other dogs nearly every day, and she hasn't had fleas yet.
She could be just lucky!

I don't treat Kingsley, and he's not had the garlic either (he hates it), and he's never had fleas....that is luck!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2005, 10:42 AM
Thanks everyone, a friend of mine has suggested the garlic too so I will definitely be trying that. I don't have an infestation at all and haven't seen any fleas on them, but because I was using the Frontline every month for year,(as told to me by the vet that I had to do!)I was under the impression that I have to start some sort of flea control with them now, but if the garlic does this, then I don't think I need to use anything else after reading your replies.

I already "bombed" the house when Georgie arrived, just in case and that was last October. The one without the skin problem is not scratching at all yet, but I am just worried for when the fleas are rife in the summer and of course the ticks as we cannot avoid the long grass when we're out.
I may put a flea collar in the hoover bag as that also seems a good idea Hevvur, thanks.
Cassie used to have the Programme tabs also every month, but years ago, as well as the Frontline pipettes, but I really want to avoid anything like that with them now as they have been so much better since stopping it last November.

I think I will go down the route of giving them garlic and if they won't eat it in their food, they will just have to have the tablets as I should think they do the same job.

Thanks guys you have all been very helpful.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2005, 10:52 AM
Teagan loves garlic! She will eat a clove or two on their own, with nothing else!
But when I make the liver cake, I either put powder in, or a clove or two.

They do say for people if you are prone to get bitten by mossies on holiday - take garlic tablets/capsules before you go for a while!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2005, 11:02 AM
Thanks Hevvur, I'm cooking them a chicken at the moment, and I have some fresh garlic in the cupboard, so I will try it today! Thanks.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2005, 11:03 AM
p.s. How often am I supposed to give them a clove of garlic then please - every day or once a week maybe?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >