Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
2countrydogs
New Member!
Female 

10-12-2007, 05:08 AM

7 wk old pup ~ kibble to MEAT

my new puppy is 7 weeks old and has been fed only dry puppy kibble. I raised a rotty on meats and produce and was wondering what recomendations people have for when I could start feeding real meat etc?

I live on a farm, and have all organic raised beef and chicken. I did alot of fishing this summer and canned all my fish heads and guts ( stinky i know ) but its the very best for puppies. I was also wondering how people would reccomend to prepare the food for such a young pup.

I remember from my Rotty, he went from almost a gallon of kibble a day to a few cups of meat and veggies/ fruit a day. ( I used to buy this ground bone marrow I mix with his food everyday ) also flax seed oil. No comparison, in health, coat, development and thier pure enjoyment LOL

any advice would be appreciated.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2007, 09:47 AM
You can start feeding raw meat straight away.
I've no experiance feeding pups raw but know there are lots of breeders and puppy owners on the Yahoo Rawfeeding group that do. Have a look on Yahoo for it.

Personally I'd just chop up the chicken or whatever you wish to start off with into meal size portions and give it to the pup.
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2007, 01:05 PM
Although i dont feed raw as a rule, my pup was eating raw chicken carcass before i picked her up at 8 weeks old. If you want to know when she started eating raw you could send a pm to Sutty on here as she is her breeder. I dont think she would mind you asking about raw feeding puppies.
2countrydogs
New Member!
Female 

11-12-2007, 03:45 PM
My rott was 6 months old when I got him and almost 70 lbs. I just have a hard time thinking of how to gauge how much to feed such a young and small pup. And how to prepare it, as my rott was big and could eat anything by the time I got him.

Thanks Kristina I will ask her what she reccomends.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2007, 09:53 AM
Hi there.
I have a ten week old collie that I have had for a month now, and immediatly put him on raw from 6 weeks. I agree with you there is no comparison for coat, condition, health and watching them eat it. It still makes me happy to see such a young pup take to a bone, like it is meant to be.

You said you were concerned about how much to feed... in my experience a pup will stop when it is satisfied, even though their stomachs can blow up to a scary size! My tiny little collie eats more than my fully grown muscley jack russell, but then his body is doing more work... growing and all that!
Is it a 7 week old rottie? Do you have pics?
2countrydogs
New Member!
Female 

14-12-2007, 03:39 PM
My new pup is a real mutt mix LOL her mom is collie, heeler & lab, and her dad is akita, greyhound and wolf, she looks more like the dad so far. Her name is Tundra, and she is darling!

My Rotty was a long time ago I got him when he was 6 mths old, I had him for 10 years. I havent been ready to move on and get another dog until now, I love rottys and cant bring myself to have another one, I fear it would not compare to him, and I would be dissapointed. He was the very best dog I have ever had, but thats another thread i think LOL

So far Tundra is LOVING The chicken wings, I love how enthusiastic they are about what they eat when they eat real meat !!! so far she is doing well, I still give her kibble before bed (11:00 pm) at night, she seems to sleep through the night ( until 6:00 am) better ( and since I have a 2 yr old son that is learning to sleep through the night, im not giving it up LOL ) I also noticed some behaviour change ( not sure if its due to the change of food ) but I have a large dog kennel in the boot room and usually I put her in there if I have to go somewhere that i cant take her, but I threw a large bone in there the other day, and now she has taken to sleeping in there during the day, whenever she needs a nap, she trots in and chews her bone until she falls asleep. I never close the door of it when Im home, but was shocked that she likes it so much. ( i have never had a kenneled dog, i borrowed the kennel from a friend)