Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-03-2013, 10:19 PM

Ruptured Lump

My old boy, Peluche, is 15 and has a lump on the top of his head. I just brought him home last year so i'm not too sure how long he's had it. The vet didn't seem too concerned since it wasn't getting any bigger and it wasn't irritating nor painful to my dog. They said lumps are common in senior dogs.

Yesterday I noticed his head was all gunky and upon further inspection I saw it had ruptured. It doesn't look good and i'm so worried. I'm hoping to take him in to the vet tomorrow.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2013, 10:25 PM
Oh well done you - it sounds as if you have taken on an old rescue dog.

If the vet saw it previously and wasn't too worried then he probably was quite sure that it was a cyst or other such benign lump. Perhaps Peluche has knocked it against something which has taken the top off.

When you say it's gunky - do you mean pus or just blood? Either way, I would gently bathe it clean with salt water (teaspoon salt to a pint of previously boiled and cooled water) and try to ease the fur outwards away from the area. Then vet as soon as possible to check it out for infection.

Good luck.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2013, 11:01 PM
Hope he's okay, always a worryx
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-03-2013, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Oh well done you - it sounds as if you have taken on an old rescue dog.

If the vet saw it previously and wasn't too worried then he probably was quite sure that it was a cyst or other such benign lump. Perhaps Peluche has knocked it against something which has taken the top off.

When you say it's gunky - do you mean pus or just blood? Either way, I would gently bathe it clean with salt water (teaspoon salt to a pint of previously boiled and cooled water) and try to ease the fur outwards away from the area. Then vet as soon as possible to check it out for infection.

Good luck.
Yes, I got Peluche when he was 14 not the November that just passed but the one before. He was living outside 24-7 for the last 12 years. Poor boy, he's only about 15lbs. The summers here are really hot and very humid, the winters haven't been that bad for the last 5 or so years, but still cold enough for such a small dog.

He was neglected and animal control was called on them numerous times about the condition he would be in; very matted, burrs all over him, etc. I wasn't looking for another dog, but I was losing sleep over him so I brought him home.

I already soaked it to get the gunk off and I will try the salt water. By gunky I mean bloody and puss.

Here's a pictures of the little man.

Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2013, 11:58 PM
They are both absolutely gorgeous x
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-03-2013, 08:28 AM
You have two gorgeous dogs and very well done for rescuing an oldie.

I do hope that Peluche will be OK - please keep us posted after you have taken him to the vet.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2013, 08:38 AM
You deserve a medal for giving an oldie dog a home. Others are abandoning them because they are incurring vet fees for health probs related to old age.

Both your dogs are gorgeous. I do hope it's nothing too serious. How is Peluch in himself?
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-03-2013, 02:08 PM
Peluche is still acting himself. He does sleep a lot but that's expected with his age. He's still eating and drinking which is good. I called the vet first thing this morning and the vet won't be in this week.
There will be a replacement vet but not until Thursday. The lump isn't oozing anymore, i've been using the salt water to keep it clean.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

11-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Oh well done to you for give Peluche a loving home. I am sure he will be OK. You are doing the right thing.

Healing vibes on their way to him.

Both dogs are beauties.

Look forward to hearing how he is getting on.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2013, 06:45 PM
Oh isn't he sweet! The other dog is absolutely beautiful too.

With all your care and nursing, it does sound as if that wound is nice and clean and holding it's own, especially as Peluche is well in himself. I would still pop to the vet on Tuesday though, just for a quick check that all is okay - it doesn't sound as if ABs will be needed though
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >