View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
winniewomn
New Member!
Female 

07-05-2006, 07:09 PM

Shih Tzu Skin Problems (inflamed skin & smelly - any ideas?)

My nephew just came in with a new Shih tzu a friend gave him and it has very red skin and a nasty smell. Since he does not live close, the vet is closed today, and I am not familiar with the breed, I was wondering if anyone knew what this might be and if this was common for the breed?
darasa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-05-2006, 09:30 PM
Does she have hair loss with the inflamed skin? if so at a guess I would say she may have a flea bite allergy, does she smell all over? is she long coat or cropped. In my experience .. no offense.. but they do smell more if they are long coat and not regularly bathed/groomed..
My mum has had Shih tzu's and yes they are prone to skin reactions and to being a bit whiffy.. mums were bathed regularly and Fontlined so that they never got a flea, one that she gave to a friend is currently being treated by the vet for symptoms similar to those you have described.. it is a flea bite allergy.. they have not maintained the flea treatments..
I would bath her and apply some soothing creme maybe sudocreme.. for babies bums and take her to the vet as soon as you can..
Hope someone with more experience can help
Rachel
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-05-2006, 10:18 PM
Hi winniewomn it could be a number of things including eczema or dermatitis, if it is smelly all over with inflamed skin it may be mange with a secondary bacteria infection... You need to see the vet ASA, don't try to treat it youself. .
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2006, 10:49 PM
My dog has recently been diagnosed with sarcoptic mange through a blood test he had and the treatment was Stronghold on the back of his neck every two weeks. He also had a very strange smell whilst he had it and was very very itchy round his ears and elbows and muzzle and used to bite his feet a lot. He doesn't do any of these things now - except the occasional scratch but this is lessening. The smell was like a sweaty sock smell and was awful - I don't know what your nephews dog smells like - is it a similar smell do you think?