Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-12-2013, 03:25 PM

A lovely story

...Dog found after 9 years

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/..._years/?ref=mr
A WORCESTERSHIRE mum had her own Christmas miracle when she was reunited with her beloved dog – nine years after she went missing.

When mother-of-four Mrs Mae lost her Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Niamh, in May 2004, she thought she would never see her again.

So it came as a shock when she got a phone call last week telling her the dog had been found – 80 miles away.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2013, 03:31 PM
How amazing is that! Sad tho that even with a microchip it took 9 yrs for owner to be identified. Dog must have been taken in by someone soon after it went missing.
Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-12-2013, 06:20 PM
Oh that is lovely, so happy for her - as Pat said its a shame that having her chipped didn't help her be found sooner but all came good in the end
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-12-2013, 06:21 PM
Amazing story.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-12-2013, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
How amazing is that! Sad tho that even with a microchip it took 9 yrs for owner to be identified. Dog must have been taken in by someone soon after it went missing.
Pat it is my guess the little dog jumped into a car or similar to travel that distance
She was then 'found' by some kind person who gave her a home and was never checked for a chip. Then when she went missing again and was 'found' this time she was checked for a chip with the resulting good news
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2013, 06:44 PM
That's excellent new but it makes you wonder who has homed and loved her for the past 9 years......they must be heart broken.
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2013, 06:46 PM
That's amazing, I can out in goose pimples as I read it.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2013, 07:18 PM
What a wonderful story with such a happy ending. How sad though that they missed out on so many years but heartening that Niamh has done a full circle and ended up where she started in a loving home to see her twilight years through.

Isn't it incredible that it took that long for her microchip to be scanned though I wish all dogs were scanned every time they visit a vet (unless you see the same vet everytime) as it only takes seconds. But then she may have been scanned and the new 'owner' would only have to say that she got her from a rescue centre
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2013, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Pat it is my guess the little dog jumped into a car or similar to travel that distance
She was then 'found' by some kind person who gave her a home and was never checked for a chip. Then when she went missing again and was 'found' this time she was checked for a chip with the resulting good news
I think you've probably guessed correctly. After all, nine years ago, to my recollection, hardly anyone was microchipping their dogs so it wouldn't have been uppermost in anyone's mind to check for one.

I only had my Cavvy microchipped because she had to be for me to fly her to Cyprus and that was about 8 yrs ago. Didn't know anyone else who had a chipped pet then.

Shame that the owner has her back in her dotage when she is likely to require more veterinary care and expense. But I can just imagine how astonished and pleased she was.

Can't help wondering about the 'other owners' though? I mean if she had been with the same people all that time - they've lost a dog they had for nine years! Longer than the original 'owner' had her.

But with all the publicity about it - you'd have thought they'd know by now it had been found? (Maybe it was with 'travellers'?)