Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2013, 11:49 AM

One person dogs ?

Didn't want to hijack another already running thread but just had a query, when you have a one person type dog (breed that tends to guard and be loyal to one person) can they ever be rehomed and become another person's dog ?

We had a terrier once should have been fine with family but he was most definitely my dog and would do nothing for anyone else, we couldn't have rehomed him I always thought as he would not have settled with anyone else.

But is it possible ?
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2013, 12:16 PM
I would imagine so
Lacey is all about me,loves the rest of the family but is definately joined at my hip
If something happened to me,I think she would take to someone.As long as she was loved and taken care of, she'd adapt I reckon...thing is I can't imagine anyone taking care of her the way I do.They would certainly require a list
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-12-2013, 12:31 PM
This is something that has been concerning me the last couple of days. I've just found out that someone I used to see regularly on the dog walk has had his dogs taken away.

When I first moved here he had one dog, a husky bitch, which was absolutely devoted to him and vice versa. She was such a wonderful dog that several people encouraged him to breed from her, saying that they would definitely have one of the puppies, and he believed them. She had three male puppies - luckily it was only three, because not a single person fulfilled their promise to have one of the puppies. He couldn't find suitable homes, so kept all three.
Fairly recently he found a home for one, so that left him with three dogs - the mum and her two sons.

Unfortunately, they put sheep into one of the fields we all use. Most of us just put our dogs on the leads when passing through that field, but there started to be incidents of very nasty sheep worrying, and it turned out the huskies were responsible. The dogs have been taken away from him and rehomed.

I am not worried about the two young males, but I am concerned about how the bitch will cope. I haven't seen the guy, so I've no idea how he is coping.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by jantet View Post
This is something that has been concerning me the last couple of days. I've just found out that someone I used to see regularly on the dog walk has had his dogs taken away.

When I first moved here he had one dog, a husky bitch, which was absolutely devoted to him and vice versa. She was such a wonderful dog that several people encouraged him to breed from her, saying that they would definitely have one of the puppies, and he believed them. She had three male puppies - luckily it was only three, because not a single person fulfilled their promise to have one of the puppies. He couldn't find suitable homes, so kept all three.
Fairly recently he found a home for one, so that left him with three dogs - the mum and her two sons.

Unfortunately, they put sheep into one of the fields we all use. Most of us just put our dogs on the leads when passing through that field, but there started to be incidents of very nasty sheep worrying, and it turned out the huskies were responsible. The dogs have been taken away from him and rehomed.

I am not worried about the two young males, but I am concerned about how the bitch will cope. I haven't seen the guy, so I've no idea how he is coping.
This might sound harsh but - my first thought was at least they weren't shot and killed.

I wouldn't breed from any dog of mine just because friends or neighbours were badgering me into it. To me that's 'irresponsible breeding'.

I wouldn't let my dog(s) off where there were livestock either. To me that's irresponsible dog ownership.

I don't think the fact he has three dogs is relevant really - it could easily just have been his adult dog responsible for worrying the sheep. Same outcome.

I do believe that however much we like to think our dogs would pine away without us - most dogs are capable of having a happy life with new owners. Just look how many happy dogs on here have come from shelters and rescues. Not every dog put into a shelter is there because it had a bad life before. Some have owners who died - owners who divorced - all sorts of reasons.

I still worry about putting mine in the boarding (she's going in again on 21st) but I know she is fine there. She can't wait to get in the gates. They love her. She goes nuts when I collect her but then carries on the same as before.

I have had a dog that was no good being boarded (GSD) but whether that was truly down to the dog or the particular kennels I don't know. She fretted, tried to escape, pulled all her front claws out clawing at the wire fencing and was a nervous wreck for ages after I collected her (after just 3 nights)

I do know the same dog was perfectly happy staying at home while we holidayed if a friend or relative came to live in with her.

I'm a bit puzzled by you seeming to think it is the number of dogs he has that has caused him to be in the predicament he is in. As I said - it only takes one. And we've had more than one thread on here about dogs who were shot and killed for the same thing.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2013, 12:50 PM
That's heartbreaking
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-12-2013, 02:40 PM
Apologies - I have a tendency to express myself badly! I didn't mean to give the impression that breeding from a bitch to please friends was a good idea, or that the problem with the sheep was because he had three dogs.

I mentioned the three of them because, in response to Julie's question, I felt that the two young dogs would be likely to settle with new owners with no problem, but that I am concerned about the bitch settling with someone new.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-12-2013, 02:55 PM
Bernese do not do well if re-homed after two years of age some manage others don't. They are very family orientated but I have heard on a couple of occasions that when the main carer had died the dogs had pined away. These dogs were older dogs around 6-8 years old.

I would not let a dog of mine off near livestock Ollie I think would of been fine not worth taking the risk though Dillon I would not trust.
Kanie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-12-2013, 05:15 PM
If it's any consolation, my heeler only has eyes for me when I am at home and treats my partner with indifference most of the time.

However, when I am away and he looks after him, he follows him round like a little shaddow and will do anything for him!

I am sure the husky bitch has found herself a new best friend and is doing fine.
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2013, 06:41 PM
Bob was a one person dog. He was devoted to his old female owner then at 10 years old he found himself in rescue. Within three days of coming in he had decided he was mine and I was his. He then set about spending the next 6 weeks doing absolutely anything to get out of his kennel to get to me including shredding his laws trying to dig through the door. He wasn't aggressive with other people, he would just move away. He was a funny boy who would happily follow people if I was there but the minute they called him he'd run away from them back to me.

If I left him with Dad he'd spend most of his time sitting on Dad's lap a gibbering wreck. I do think he would have been able to adapt to yet another home if something had happened to me but the mental damage kennels did to him (he developed severe SA) and moving away from his family was horrible to see.

Scooby was similar. It took him 24 hours to decide I was his and that was that. He would tow people across fields to get to me or slip his harness. If I was around he wouldn't do or focus on anyone else. He wood spend his days in is kennel barking for me. He was fiercely possessive of me and still is to a certain extent. Although I think Scooby would adapt to a new home I would never rehome him due to his aggression issues. If something happened to me or my Dad he would be pts as it would not be fair on him to expect him to move on again.

Both of my boys were one person dogs who quickly adapted to being a different one persons dog if you get what I mean but it came at a cost to their confidence.
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-12-2013, 08:17 PM
Interesting question.

My Ty is extremely devoted to me, and we have an amazing and deep bond. He has SA too, which hasn't been to much of a problem because he's rarely left . We've never spent a night apart from each other and even when staying with family he's constantly on the look-out for me and will not settle until I'm home. Add to that he's incredibly aloof with strangers and anyone outside the immediate family. Bonding with new people would not come easy to him, and I can wholeheartedly say i do not believe for one minute he'd ever live happily again without me. That's not me being big headed or anything like that, but i know him, and i know our relationship. Thankfully, if anything did happen to me ( god forbid ) my parents would take both my dogs, but even they have said Ty would be broken hearted.

My other dog could easily adapt to living with new people as she's so people orientated.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >