Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pawprints
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-08-2005, 07:19 AM

Cold sore remedy!

Not nice to see! I have a growing cold sore after my recent flu/cold! Anyone know of any `old wives tale` remedies or inexpensive cures? I know the chemists sell stuff but it costs a bomb for a tiny tube ... help! Lucy
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-08-2005, 07:41 AM
doesn´t cost much here send you one if you like np for me
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-08-2005, 08:40 AM
Lots of vitamin C to boost your immune system and speed healing..so lots of fruit particulartly things like Kiwi so vitamin rich (cut in half eat with a teaspoon) fresh orange juice.
My niece has had them all her life and we have tried every cure known to man..the only think to work is the expensive stuff begining with Z
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2005, 08:59 AM
A chemist friend of ours recomended Vit c and zinc to boost the immune system, but if the cold sore is there its there, I know zovirax is expensive, but it does work well. we used to put purfume on cold sores "in the old days" dont know if it really did it any good, I think it was thought it would dry it up.

Mo
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

15-08-2005, 09:08 AM
Me too with the vitC always, when I take it regular I hardly ever get them or colds, always forget about the zinc tho Woke up with 2 night after seeing G. Benson always when I`m run down, once got one tho the Z stops it dead

ps our drs prescribe it if you suffer with them a lot, don`t they there?
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2005, 09:32 AM
Zovirax is the only one that works for me. Expensive but does last and does the job.
Saz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2005, 09:34 AM
Eat oranges, i used to do it when i was young, it stung a little but it cleared it in no time
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

15-08-2005, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by pawprints
Not nice to see! I have a growing cold sore after my recent flu/cold! Anyone know of any `old wives tale` remedies or inexpensive cures? I know the chemists sell stuff but it costs a bomb for a tiny tube ... help! Lucy
Gin External not internal Dab on the sores & it will dry them up & they will disappear in no time. No personal experience, but this was my Grandmama's remedy
willowish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2005, 12:42 PM
High dose vitC as people have said but alos L-lysine which you can get from Holland and Barret. There is a product that i have found to be much more effective than Zovirax but it is also very expensive and can only be bought online called Releev Here I now have some in the house all the time as I suffer quite badly from cold sores during the summer months due to the sun.

Meg
Supervisor

15-08-2005, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
Gin External not internal Dab on the sores & it will dry them up & they will disappear in no time. No personal experience, but this was my Grandmama's remedy
I disagree with SB here dab a bit on then have a good couple of Gins with some tonic, ice and lemon....it is definately recommended both externally and internally for cold sores ...it may not cure them but but by the time you have had the Gins the coldsores will cease to matter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >