View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Do what you want and sod your Mother! It's your day and no one should spoil it.

However I will add that my first wedding was at Gretna, famous olde Blacksmiths Shop. It was ok but personally I wouldn't recommend it.

Good luck on whatever you decide! X
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I will say mums have this knack of getting their own way by putting poor dad in the firing line. I know this through personal experience not over my wedding but many other things that have happened over the years.

I think you have done the right thing for you and Paul and besides I don't expect you wanted this to happen anymore than your mum did but it has and you are making the best of a bad situation. Maybe you need to tell her that in a nice way.

We had a local hall and a buffet after our wedding wasn't really the thing to have venues in the 70's and it was a smashing evening and a great party in fact it was so good that for many years we always hired the hall once a year for a big get together and a party.

Give your mum time I am sure she will come round.
So it's not just my mum that does this bold bit I am actually disgusted she has done this, it IS emotional blackmail, she knows how much i love him, he means the world to me, poor man is stuck with her stressing out now. My sister and I always worry about him, his family have all died young from heart problems (my sister lives away too).

Yeah spot on - when you say we're just making the best of what's happened and we've managed to do it really well, or so i thought. The idea of rearranging everything was so stressful, for everyone.

Aw i think that's lovely that you hired the hall for years to come xxxx
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 07:47 PM
I agree with all previous posts. It is your day and it is your decision as to where and when you get married, no-one elses, not even your Mothers. I am sure she will calm down and as you say probably disappointed for the reasons mentioned.

Glad you are sticking to your guns and I am sure you will have a lovely day and honeymoon. xx
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by Cachapman710 View Post
Do what you want and sod your Mother! It's your day and no one should spoil it.

However I will add that my first wedding was at Gretna, famous olde Blacksmiths Shop. It was ok but personally I wouldn't recommend it.

Good luck on whatever you decide! X
Well said. It's true! In a nutshell that's it!

Thanks for the heads up, i didn't realise there was even more than one option at Gretna till I looked yesterday, eek I need recommendations now!
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by suecurrie View Post
I agree with all previous posts. It is your day and it is your decision as to where and when you get married, no-one elses, not even your Mothers. I am sure she will calm down and as you say probably disappointed for the reasons mentioned.

Glad you are sticking to your guns and I am sure you will have a lovely day and honeymoon. xx
Aww thank you, you are all saying what I was hoping, it IS my day and I'm not being unreasonable. I do hope she calms down soon... my poor, poor Dad putting up with her right now .
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Maybe you both need to take a step back and consider what`s important here.
A wedding isn`t a party. It`s the start of two people`s lives together.

If your mother wants a big party, suggest she and your dad plan a big anniversary bash.
Exactly Claire, it's because of my parents it's always been said that I will have a big wedding, I hadn't even considered other options till now.

Bold bit That is it! Exactly, i was saying to Paul earlier, it has always been HER wedding anyway, so yeah she should just go right ahead and have a party herself!

Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
I do not want to offend but I do feel that your mum is OOO, at the moment. Hopefully she will think about it and come to the decision that it is your 'most important day' and your decision on what you do on that day. My heart goes out to you as I know what it is like to be in such a situation.
I know she is upset, which is the only reason I worded my text back to her so nicely, I actually wanted to yell at her.
Yeah hopefully she will turn around, else I don't know?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-01-2011, 07:55 PM
I think this is why men have selective deafness.

Don't know if you watch Lark rise to Candleford but there is an old married man in it Twister and on Sunday he was saying God gives men tolerance because they are married to women so they need it. It made me chuckle all night.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
God gives men tolerance because they are married to women so they need it. It made me chuckle all night.

LOL, very, very true, both my dad and dare I admit it, my OH!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 08:20 PM
I do agree that its your day and it should be what you and your OH want. But I'll just put a slightly different point across.

Think of it from your Mum's stance for a minute. If you are her only daughter, she's probably been dreaming about your wedding for years. On top of that, to be told in a text how much you love your Dad but no mention at all about your love for your Mum....well that's gotta hurt her a lot.

Yes, she is out of order making out its your Dad that wants the wedding. But most Dad's would want to walk their daughter down the isle even if they didn't want the rest of the stress that went with it. And perhaps she didn't feel that you would take her wishes into consideration like you would your Dads?

Just playing devils' advocate really. As one who fell out big time with my mum and didn't speak for over 2 years (her decision not mine) I've learnt to try and see her point of view much more (and she has been much better at thinking about things from my point of view).

I'd go and talk to her. Put your point across but tell her you'd like her involved and think of things that she would like to get involved with that you would be happy letting her do.

I really hope you get it sorted - even if you get what you want, if you fall out with your family over, it won't taste as sweet. x
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Okay...
When I got married what I really wanted to do was head off with OH and the dogs and just get married, no fuss, no thing.
We didn't. We had a 'wedding' a smallish one granted, on our terms, but bigger than we would have wanted even if we were going to have a 'wedding'. We did it for the family,not for us.I knwo it is YOUR day...but it is also your family and friends day as they want to celebrate it with you because they love you. They want to see you married. I had friends come just to the service, not the reception, just because they wanted to be there to see it.
My dad however didn't 'give me away' as I object to that on many many levels!!!

I agree you need to do your thing...but to go from big event to Gretna is a leap...
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »