View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2007, 11:37 AM
P.S: My dogs do chase deer also. However I wouldn't think of letting them chase around doing anything near roads or any danger. They chase them sometimes in the depths of the forest but boy do those deer know the forest My dogs give up mid chase because they arn't out and out wanting to catch them - they just enjoy the initial first seconds of the chase and return to me even with the deer still in eyesight...We are very aware of when there are babies however - I saw a glimpse of what was either a muntjac or a baby Fallow etc...Only a glimpse before it went in to the trees, so because I wasn't sure, my dogs began to chase and I said leave and meant it and the dogs stopped chasing.

I have seen more wildlife fall victim to man - squashed on roads - caught hanging upside down and dying in fences and all the usual where no one really gives a toss - not to mention all the mixy rabbits I have mentioned and I really don't see what the big deal is if my dogs pursue a chase where I have done my best to take safety for all into consideration. The only person it affects is me because I have to keep my dogs safe and I do all I can to assure that but at the same time I do like dogs to get to act like dogs sometimes. There are enough restraints on them without not allowing them to chase the odd rabbit.

I feel that many people probably feel that way but wouldn't say so. So I've said it
john100
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-08-2007, 09:58 PM
Hi Myschievous. Could i just point out that i would never be one for pushing the law. My reasons for 'pushing' the law was only for the benefit of those that might think its OK to let there dogs chase,catch and kill rabbits when there out walking there dogs, and so i dont go over the same old ground again, it doesn't matter if its public or private land you have to have permission first and preferably in writing.
Most bylaws (public land) state that you must have your dog on a lead or under close control. Most landowners who have public Rights of way running over there land would expect walkers to observe the same rules. Years ago a dog of mine chased a rabbit on private land. The rabbit got away and the dog ran straight into some pheasants and killed three before i could call her off. That cost me a fine in court. Dont bite my head off for asking, did you mean you gutted the rabbit before you took it home, not skinned?
Footnote.
Emma can i just reiterate that your dog cant got to court for hunting lol. So you as the responsible owner has to
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2007, 10:30 PM
Thankfully my dogs will hunt rabbits on our our land which we have written permission from the property owner to shoot and hunt on this land.

If we didn't 'control' the rabbits here, we'd be over-run by the things. IMO, it's a dogs natural instinct to hunt prey. I don't eat what my dogs catch, or what my OH shoots. It's only because I don't like rabbit (too many little bones for my liking) but my OH's friend is more than happy to take our catch.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2007, 11:06 PM
Its funny coz my NI hunts Turkeys. Nothing else!
She can smell one from miles away. She got it from being a young girl on a farm up Oldham way, an instinct she never lost.
john100
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-08-2007, 12:27 PM
Laura, Ever thought of moving to the states. i don't think we have to many wild turkeys here lol. Wolfie you haven't taken up the sport then (shooting)?. Nice to know theres a few on here whose dogs know what there nose and legs are for lol
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by john100 View Post
Laura, Ever thought of moving to the states. i don't think we have to many wild turkeys here lol. Wolfie you haven't taken up the sport then (shooting)?. Nice to know theres a few on here whose dogs know what there nose and legs are for lol
The first time she got a friends prize (showing) turkey and plucked its feathers out. I have to say it was funny, the sight of her with feathers hanging out of her mouth not knowing why everyone was screaming at her.

Then a few months ago she decided to bring home a huge turkey. To this day I have no idea where it came from as there wasnt any turkeys nearby. Hope it fell off the back of a lorry, or hope the owner of it doesnt read this.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2007, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by john100 View Post
Dont bite my head off for asking, did you mean you gutted the rabbit before you took it home, not skinned?
Just chill I'm not that bad - I don't bite heads off for being breifly irritated - you haven't annoyed me that much.

Lets start afreash

Right, yeah we gutted it and skinned it before taking it home - we skinned it before bringing it back as it was really badly flea ridden and I didn't want the fleas coming with us. It was 9 at night, in the colder months and dark, done by torch light - no one saw. I didn't want it to go to waste if it had to die - that's the way I see things.

To be honest I have had rabbit before from the butches and it is nasty - I think they think it's good to hang them for a long while to get a bit manky? apparently they taste better that way well the one we got went in the freezer straight away for about 1 month or so - when we ate it I was expecting it to taste nasty but it was the best I have tasted - gorgeous infact. Well done Keena

Luz - Brodie sounds like a clown - Keena will do things if they 'make her laugh' and a turkey with how they look would fit that bill perfectly, she would want to chase it just because it made her 'laugh' - people will be at that, but I can tell when she is finding something really amusing and when she is laughing!
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2007, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous View Post

Luz - Brodie sounds like a clown - Keena will do things if they 'make her laugh' and a turkey with how they look would fit that bill perfectly, she would want to chase it just because it made her 'laugh' - people will be at that, but I can tell when she is finding something really amusing and when she is laughing!
Tikaani is like that, he turns into a little lamb skipping and prancing, paws all up in the air. Daft lot we have eh?
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by Luz View Post
Tikaani is like that, he turns into a little lamb skipping and prancing, paws all up in the air. Daft lot we have eh?
lol totally daft, they all are. It's all in Keena's face she looks like such a goof ball when she is 'laughing'. Well even more of a goof ball than usual lol.
juliekelham
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-08-2007, 02:24 PM
kenna and tikkani,i think are both out of my ammik, lol that says it all.
Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >