View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2007, 06:35 PM
I agree it is totally dependent on the person and how they can cope with a dog and if it is fair to the dog itself.

I have a client who is in her 70's. She is not a fit lady, is extremely over-weight, falls, walks with a frame and generally doesn't take care of herself.

She has a very, very over-weight dachshund. He is well into his teens and for the last 2 years she has been talking about what to do if/when he dies. To be honest as fast as she puts on weight so does he. He never goes out as she doesn't go out. Her husband could take him out if he wanted to, (even if just for their almost daily trip to the chippie) but doesn't. He eats more treats than my two active dogs put together, and is at the blue cross for treatment almost every week. They do love their dog but almost killing him with their idea of kindness.

She often talks about getting a jrt puppy (as I have Tonto), but I have to say I'd be appalled if they got another dog, especially a puppy. Its not fair to the dog and a risk to herself. They have looked at rescue dogs (all previous dogs are rescue dogs) and complain about the costs that rescues charge. Again I have to bite my tongue as I think if you can't even afford to pay the fee they charge, can't afford vets fees and won't be able to exercise a dog or know how to feed it sensibly then no way should you get one. Rant over
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2007, 03:56 PM
Becky thats terrible, I totally would be disgusted too if they get another dog.

Sadly alot of owners fail to realise that a dog is a huge commitment and when you get one you are responsible for their health and wellbeing, this includes giving the dog alot of exercise and being responsible enough to say no to the dog when it asks for treats, it is hard to refuse them sometimes but it must be done.

I know quite afew people who really shouldnt have a dog, sadly some people think its their right to have a dog and not take care of it.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4