View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 10:54 AM
I don't see the point in hammering a dog for growling... it's the equivalent of "naff off you're in my face and I'm getting annoyed now" - remove the growl from the repertoire and you go straight to the teeth bit really. I was always told from an early age that if a dog's growling it's annoyed - leave it alone... seems to have gone out of the window now and if a dog's growling it needs fitting out with an ASBO and a crowd armed with pitchforks and flaming torches on its tail!

I take the line that while I trust the dog - I don't trust the kids. Toddlers move in quite unpredictable ways (especially when they're going through that "needing 5 minutes' notice to grind to a stop" phase), and not all of them have been taught that the dog is NOT some cute cuddly interactive toy that might not be in the mood right now... plus then you get kids who do think it's cute to wind up dogs (I mentioned before about the primary kids who thought it was hilarious to yell scream bark and growl at my guy when I made the mistake of heading back from walkies at 8.55 the other morning - thankfully my guy's a lazy git and getting annoyed requires effort better devoted to tennis ball slaughter - but if it happens again I'm ringing the school to suggest that they put some education in place as that's just not on baiting a dog for a reaction).

To protect the dog and my own sanity - I keep well away where possible, I make sure to my best ability (the other day was unavoidable) that I don't walk the dog during school going in and kicking out times and there's no way on this earth I'd have the dog near a toddler unless I trusted the parent to be sane and not some overreactionary zealot.

Springers - perhaps they've been in the news because they were plugged as an awesome family dog a while back and now people are realizing that even the most awesome family dogs have teeth, have barks and have grouchy days like the rest of us? (Sound like Staffies to anyone?)... hubby grew up with Springers and while they were utterly utterly bonkers - they wouldn't have hurt a fly (would have required a brain between their ears to actually pull off hurting a fly).

But a dog growling?! Shocking! How dare they communicate that they're really not up for playing?
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-01-2011, 11:05 AM
I think if you have a dog who snaps at your child and you are not happy you can supervise 100% of the time the best thing would be to rehome the dog.
Its not fair on anyone esle.
I have four children who have grown up with my dogs.
I have recently add a ( free to good home) terrier who had never lived with small children. She has a couple of time growled at one of my children when they have tried to grab at her. That in my opinion if fair enough my child should have known better than to do that to the dog so the dog let my child know that what they were doing wasn't on.
Children are unable to read a dogs body language like a adult can so its my job to teach my children.
But sometimes dogs just don't like kids and if its stressful for the dog to be around children they are better off living elsewhere.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Kind of agree with the above post. I think when the dog has finally snapped all the other signals have previously been ignored or not picked up on by the owners.
O
I have never really seperated Bruno from Luca when he was a toddler, I taught Luca how to act around the dog and made sure if he wasn't being good that he got thdvreprimand not the dog. I always taught him that if the dog moved away then he shouldn't follow him as that meant he wanted some peace.
They have a lovely relationship that isn't separated by a house full of baby gates. It's mutual respect and it seems to have worked. Now with Lola she is starting to move around as is hugely interested in the dog who adores her so I will be doing the same.
I think a lot of problems start when the baby and dog are constantly separated as the dog is made to be mire interested in the baby as it hardly ever gets to be near it so it's a novelty . The breed thing who knows, I think stringers can be bouncy especially when young so I'd the dog is bounding about and getting excitable with the kid and then nips in excitement or snaps because it's bern pushed to far then that's not on the dog it's on the owners for not seeing the signs.

However I think it's across the board in terms of removing animals about 18 months- 2 yrs when it's hard work pr harder to cope with. It's the amount of very young dogs you see that are given up as owner just had baby.... They had 9 months to know and prepare and yet they just give up on the dog.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I don't know if it's just a breed thing (or a sign of the media frenzy lately) but I am seeing a massive increase in Springers being handed over for re-homing as they have ''growled or snapped'' at a toddler.
When you hear all the ridiculous reasons people give for rehoming (dog hairs show on new carpet etc) then it's not surprising at all.

I also think the Spaniels are just expected to be highly tolerant of kids (like collies are supposed to be born trained etc) and their soft looks mean people forget they are still dogs.

Some people just have silly expectations and when problems arise can't be bothered to make the effort to overcome them.

J.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 01:42 PM
I don't know if it's just a breed thing (or a sign of the media frenzy lately) but I am seeing a massive increase in Springers being handed over for re-homing as they have ''growled or snapped'' at a toddler.

Now I don't know if I'm soft, but I just assumed that ALL dogs had the potential to snap at an eye level, loud and irritating (to a dog) child, so it's really important to keep child and dog separate as much as possible.

Is it really necessary to re-home for this?
Springers are probably up there with the most unpredictable dogs we board, you are correct, it appears to be on the increase.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
When you hear all the ridiculous reasons people give for rehoming (dog hairs show on new carpet etc) then it's not surprising at all.

I also think the Spaniels are just expected to be highly tolerant of kids (like collies are supposed to be born trained etc) and their soft looks mean people forget they are still dogs.

Some people just have silly expectations and when problems arise can't be bothered to make the effort to overcome them.

J.
Infuriating isn't it.

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Springers are probably up there with the most unpredictable dogs we board, you are correct, it appears to be on the increase.
Doesn't surprise me at all. I wonder if it's the breeding that has changed or the ownership?

Never once have I assumed a Springer was to be trusted 100% though. Very suspicious dogs so always on edge.
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 02:13 PM
you should never trust any dog 100%, you need to always supervise dogs and children. I look after children and you cant trust them either 100%, so the supervision must be there!

Between children and children, children and dogs, and dogs and dogs!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Doesn't surprise me at all. I wonder if it's the breeding that has changed or the ownership?

Never once have I assumed a Springer was to be trusted 100% though. Very suspicious dogs so always on edge.
A bit of both I think. Unsuitable owners for very "busy" dogs, and poor breeding for the wrong reasons who sell to those unsuitable owners.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
A bit of both I think. Unsuitable owners for very "busy" dogs, and poor breeding for the wrong reasons who sell to those unsuitable owners.
.....and the poor dog ends up in a rescue home.

This particular advert was ''loving dog from loving home...blah, blah, blah.'' Such a shame.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 04:39 PM
All dogs have the potential i think. Michael has snapped at my fellas little brother (2yo) because he pulled his ear, he came in and showed his mum to proceded to say it was his own fault. Now they stay apart unless closely watched. Suki on the other hand can be handled a little rougher than Michael and loves the attention from kids she follows them round normally i think to pick up the food they have dropped lol
ATD x
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2