Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
No one has said your chis are not worthy. It is just hard for outsiders to judge how good dogs are if they have nothing to measure it against. Thats the point i think.
As I say I am sure your dogs are lovely. I didn't read the htread you are talking about.
No you didn't say that Ramble. I was probably just a little angered at hearing the same old guff about breeding from pets being no better than a byb!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 09:45 PM
I only value the showring and working field as measures of how 'good' a dog of my breed is because the show ring will tell me if it looks like a Flat Coat...it will also tell me if it looks like a Flat Coat and can work like one too. Working info tells me if it is fit for function.
Temperament, in my breed, is vital for that.
Exactly. If everyone bred without any standards (show AND working) in mind, eventually the look and ind entity of breeds would be lost.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Exactly. If everyone bred without any standards (show AND working) in mind, eventually the look and ind entity of breeds would be lost.
Yes they would, but not if you research the breed and are fully aware of the breed standard, then you go with that.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 09:47 PM
Do you think that there are no dogs in rescues that have been produced from show parents?
From show parents and a responsible breeder, 99% of whom insist that the pup/dog is returned to them if circumstances change? highly unlikely.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm sure you can see the problem though CC,in order to know if your dogs are good examples of the breed, outsiders need more than 'such and such says they are..' At least if a dog is shown or worked, there is something to measure that by,if you see what I mean.....
You must be able to see the benefit in that respect? It could well be that your bitch would excel in the showring...brilliant...but no one can know that until she enters it, even if the best chi breeder in the world says so. People need evidence and showing dogs gives that. If you see what I mean....

Why not have a go CC????? You may even grow to love it lol!!!!!!!
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
From show parents and a responsible breeder, 99% of whom insist that the pup/dog is returned to them if circumstances change? highly unlikely.

Well, I suppose we'll never know. However, I don't show (as you know) but any pups I find homes for in the future, will go on contract that the pup/dog must come back to me if it is no longer required at that home. So it's not just show breeders that have such morals and ethics. I know a few Chi breeders that would do anything for their pups. Maybe it's the breed I'm into but any breeder I know, lives for their dogs and the pups they produce, at great cost to them sometimes.

I just don't like it when people generalise that if you breed a dog that is not shown you are a byb. That's really not fair in mine and many others' cases.
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Do we have to start this again so soon? Th OP is asking about lineage, not breeding for or from pet only dogs.

Valandra, when you get into 'knowing' a breed and know who does well and what lines you like and what lines certain judged like, then you get to make up your own mind about lines and also second guess what other's may think of them and if they would be likely to do well in the ring or field. It's just something you have to learn and it takes time. Someone who shows and/or works springers, or a springer enthusiast would be able to tell you about your own dogs lines. If you look at her ped (assuming she has papers?), see if you can see any with the same affix (kennel name) in front of their name.

For instance, my weimaraner is a total outcross (bred from 2 sets of unrelated lines), her dad is from Enryb kennels who were created from dogs from Gunalt kennels. Her mum is from Sireva kennels and most of the ancestry on that side is Sireva. So if someone asks me what lines is she from, I will say she is from Enryb and Sireva lines. I will also in conversation often mention that Maddy also has Gunalt in her lines.

Does that make sense? I hope that helps you understand what is meant when discussing lines. x
Yeah that makes sense, thanks Random. Ive been looking on a website and just trying to get to know about the whole 'breeding line' thing. im very new at this, ive always thought as long as the dog is healthy i dont really care about it. but as they say , curiosity killed the cat.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 09:58 PM
Again, more than anything it is a breed issue. Taking my previous example, if I came on here saying I wanted to breed my pet Staffie bitch that I didn't show or do anything with, would people encourage me? no!
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I'm sure you can see the problem though CC,in order to know if your dogs are good examples of the breed, outsiders need more than 'such and such says they are..' At least if a dog is shown or worked, there is something to measure that by,if you see what I mean.....
You must be able to see the benefit in that respect? It could well be that your bitch would excel in the showring...brilliant...but no one can know that until she enters it, even if the best chi breeder in the world says so. People need evidence and showing dogs gives that. If you see what I mean....

Why not have a go CC????? You may even grow to love it lol!!!!!!!
I wouldn't go near the show ring. I looked into it when I first got into the Chi breed and, sorry, not my kind of people. I've also seen some Chis that have done well at shows and thought "my god, how" !

I will say, it only takes a quick look on E***z to see that there are breeders out there that are breeding allsorts. Some of the pups only slightly resemble Chis. There are obviously a lot of people out there that are not researching the breed, studying the Pedigrees and finding Studs that compliment their bitch.

I just think that some people need to see that there is a middle of the road breeder that does all of that but just doesn't enter the show ring

I don't know how my Krystal would do in the show ring. I really don't but I have to say I don't care. I know that she is a very good example of the breed. I know her parents well and her breeding is excellent, from well-known bloodlines. That, together with her temperament and good health is enough for me
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-03-2009, 10:17 PM
My little Beanie wouldn't do well in the show ring - she's too fine boned. But she is without doubt a stunning dog and she'd kick the butts of most dogs when it comes to canine sports. I think she's head and shoulders above any beagle that I've seen.

Now you could argue that she isn't a good example of the breed according to the typical show judges interpretation of the breed standard. And I really couldn't dispute that - she's so different from any other Beagle that I've seen.

....except...

She's the spitting image of her ancestor from 60 years ago - a daughter of an Eton College Pack hound. And she's built very much like the Eton College Pack hounds of today.

Does she have hunting ability? Who knows. It's not tested at all in this country. But she's fitter and more athletic than most beagles I know.

So who's the most 'correct' and 'proven' beagle? Mine or the ones that win crufts?

Doing well in the show ring only matters if you're interested in the show ring. Lets face it, with revelations that certain 'best of breeds' can't give birth naturally or even breath properly show success is hardly an indication of quality if health and quality of life are factored in. I think this is what you guys aren't getting - show success only really matters within the show world. Just as agility/flyball/obedience/best-pet/you-name-it success only matters within each of those insular little worlds.
Page 6 of 10 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »