View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 09:21 PM
And how do you know that your dog is a great example of the breed without ever being shown under a judge?

That is kind of like me saying that my dog is as good as a field trial champion in terms of working ability, but I have never actually trailed him because I don't believe in it.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
That didn't answer my question. If a dog is an unproven pet, how is it 'worthy' of being bred? where do you draw the line?

IMO, there are so many unwanted dogs of every breed out there that dogs shouldn't be bred unless they are proven.

You don't need to be a judge to know if your dog is to breed standard. I am in touch with many Chi people and I know the quality of my dogs, their bloodlines and so on.

Any dog I breed (even though in your opinion I would be classified as a byb) will always have a home. I have yet to see or hear of a Chihuahua in a Rescue. I have looked for long enough and haven't come across one.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
Well, my Krystal (who is most certainly to breed standard) was bred with another Chi who is also an excellent example of the breed. Her pups, admittedly are only 3 months old but they are perfect up to now. No disputing their breed unless anyone is blind or hasn't got a clue what they are talking about.

I'm not talking breeding any old pet to any old pet. I'm talking breeding two quality, healthy, great temperament, breed standard dogs and producing wonderful examples of the breed.

And I didn't just breed Krystal because she's a nice pet. I bred her because she is a very good example of the breed and, believe me, I have had many dog people tell me that. I don't need to parade around a show ring for some judge to place her, to know whether I should breed her or not. There is far too much politics in showing for me and I'm not one to keep my mouth shut, so the nearest I'll get to any show ring, is watching it on tv or pc
I wasn't referring to you in my post CC...
But since you mentioned your breeding...who has decided that Krystal and the dog she was mated to are good examples of the breed? Was it a breed expert that has been in the breed a long time?
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I wasn't referring to you in my post CC...
But since you mentioned your breeding...who has decided that Krystal and the dog she was mated to are good examples of the breed? Was it a breed expert that has been in the breed a long time?
Yes it was Ramble, she has been breeding and showing for many years and she owns the Stud, who has excellent breeding.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 09:24 PM
You don't need to be a judge to know if your dog is to breed standard. I am in touch with many Chi people and I know the quality of my dogs, their bloodlines and so on.

Any dog I breed (even though in your opinion I would be classified as a byb) will always have a home. I have yet to see or hear of a Chihuahua in a Rescue. I have looked for long enough and haven't come across one.
Just because your dogs have quality in their lineage...doesn't make them quality ( I don't knwo if your dogs are quality or not know nothing about chis...) but lots of people have dogs from quality lines that would be laughed out of a show ring or only do well to a certain point then fail...
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Yes it was Ramble, she has been breeding and showing for many years and she owns the Stud, who has excellent breeding.
Is the stud shown?
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Just because your dogs have quality in their lineage...doesn't make them quality ( I don't knwo if your dogs are quality or not know nothing about chis...) but lots of people have dogs from quality lines that would be laughed out of a show ring or only do well to a certain point then fail...
Well, actually Ramble my dogs are quality. You don't know that, as you say, you are not into Chis. But the girls I have bred are quality Chis.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Do we have to start this again so soon? Th OP is asking about lineage, not breeding for or from pet only dogs.

Valandra, when you get into 'knowing' a breed and know who does well and what lines you like and what lines certain judged like, then you get to make up your own mind about lines and also second guess what other's may think of them and if they would be likely to do well in the ring or field. It's just something you have to learn and it takes time. Someone who shows and/or works springers, or a springer enthusiast would be able to tell you about your own dogs lines. If you look at her ped (assuming she has papers?), see if you can see any with the same affix (kennel name) in front of their name.

For instance, my weimaraner is a total outcross (bred from 2 sets of unrelated lines), her dad is from Enryb kennels who were created from dogs from Gunalt kennels. Her mum is from Sireva kennels and most of the ancestry on that side is Sireva. So if someone asks me what lines is she from, I will say she is from Enryb and Sireva lines. I will also in conversation often mention that Maddy also has Gunalt in her lines.

Does that make sense? I hope that helps you understand what is meant when discussing lines. x
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 09:27 PM
You don't need to be a judge to know if your dog is to breed standard.
Saying that a dog 'meets the breed standard' and having a dog that has actually proven to meet the breed standard are two totally different things.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 09:29 PM
No, the Stud is not shown. I can assure you though, he is of very good quality. If he wasn't I wouldn't have used him. I travelled a very long way to go to him.
Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »