Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
boosted2g
New Member!
Male 

01-03-2013, 02:29 AM

PLEASE HELP! Sudden loss of use of pitbulls rear legs

I know this is my first post but I am desperate for some help. Last night I came home from work and went to let my 8 year old pitbull out to use the bathroom. Right before I opened the cage he started urinating on the floor. I took him outside and he was walking "stiff legged" and real slow. He used the bathroom 2 more times. I took him out about 15 minutes later to see if he was still walking funny, and he kept sitting down and walking real stiff and slow. So I let him into the garage to eat. I came back 2 hours later to find him laying down on the floor. I tried to call him and he couldnt get back up. He drug his legs behind him but he was still moving towards me. This morning I went to check on him and he appeared to be sitting up on his tailbone with his front legs pivoted straight down to hold him up. I called my vet and made arrangements. I took him at about 10am today and he was too the point of not being able to balance himself sitting up on his tailbone anymore and started falling and having cordination problems. He never whinned or yelped from pain when i had to pick him up. He was shaking and had no use of his legs. The vet came in and tried a pain test by clamping his skin on his leg and foot and got no response. I pinched his neck with the clamp and he didn't respond to that either. I think took my thumb and pressed firmly on his theigh and he moved his head down there and acted like he felt it. I had the vet admit the dog and give him steriods. I also had an xray done. The xray showed nothing and no fractures of the spine. Also, when i picked him up around his chest and jerked his head as to be feeling some pain. As of 5pm this afternoon he has not improved. I do not have an abundance of money to take to a neurologist. The vet immediatly stated if he doesn't improve i might want to think of putting him down. Putting my dog to sleep is only going to happen if he is living in pain. I will do whatever I have to do to care for my dog. Should I get a second opinion from another vet? I am not sure where to go from here if he isn't any better in the morning. I have already started pricing the wheel carts just in case. Any advice or what is happening to him? Thanks

FYI the dogs name is Brutus and he is a 8 yr old american staffordshire. never any health problems. I have another 4 year old blue pit that they play and live together.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-03-2013, 09:37 AM
Hello Richard, welcome. I am sorry to hear Brutus is ill .

Firstly I gather all this happened yesterday, steroids don't always work immediately particularly if there is inflammation and swelling somewhere. Have you got more steroids to give?

If the x ray was clear the problem could be some kind of neurological condition , did the vet take blood to test.

I would see how it goes keeping your dog warm and quiet with a nice thick bed to lay on and water close at hand. I would also restrict movement when you can and gently carrying him out to relieve himself.

I hope there is some improvement soon.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hello Richard, welcome. I am sorry to hear Brutus is ill .

Firstly I gather all this happened yesterday, steroids don't always work immediately particularly if there is inflammation and swelling somewhere. Have you got more steroids to give?

If the x ray was clear the problem could be some kind of neurological condition , did the vet take blood to test.

I would see how it goes keeping your dog warm and quiet with a nice thick bed to lay on and water close at hand. I would also restrict movement when you can and gently carrying him out to relieve himself.

I hope there is some improvement soon.
Hi I noticed you said he was in a cage,I had read in a magazine that two dogs were left together,they played pretty rough,anyway the owner came home and one of the dogs back legs was splayed and he was trying to use his front paws,dashed to the vet,they decided to keep him in overnight,in the morning no improvement,so they injected him with dye and had a look with a small camera he had a pinched disc,so they then Acu-punctured and he also had hydro-therphy,but within a few weeks was running around like a mad thing.His owner feels that the two of them were playing rough,and one of them fell awkwardly as he witnessed it a few weeks later,they were on the bed playing,then one of them fell off with a big bang.crystalgirl
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2013, 10:32 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. If I were you I would put him on 'bed-rest' to see if a total rest improves his mobility. Carry him out to the loo and carry him back.
It could be many things but one of them is a trapped nerve. I really hope he improves and is back to normal mobility after a rest and the steroids have kicked in.

I wouldn't necessarily get a second opinion yet, but if after a few days there is no improvement you could think about it then if you are not happy with what your vet is telling you. Don't forget a new vet will want to repeat all the tests i.e. x-rays which will immediately be more expense.

Good luck and keep us informed.
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-03-2013, 10:20 PM
So sorry to hear that Brutus is having such problems - you must be very worried about him. I would consider doing what others have suggested - complete rest for a few days and see if there is any improvement with that and the steroids.

I do hope he regains at least some of his mobility.
Do let us know how he does.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2013, 11:16 PM
Sending Brutus positive vibes, I hope you see an improvement soon.