View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 03:16 PM
I leave mine for 6 hours on two days, five the next and four the next. Then I'm at home for three days. I wouldn't like to leave them any longer than 6 but they are used to it and seem to cope okay.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 04:00 PM
Those that would NEVER leave their dogs for more than a couple of hours are so lucky they never have an emergency

Teagan has been left over night before due to me going into hospital.
Someone has popped in to feed her morning/night, but thats all, as I don't know anyone who can walk her, and shes DA so can't go to anyones house (plus when you get admitted suddenly, you can't really arrange a kennel).
Luckily she has a dog flap and garden access 24/7.
And also luckily, she would prefer being asleep on her own than being with other people.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 04:19 PM
Not usually more than 4-5 hours, unless there has been an emergency.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 05:39 PM
The maximum I will leave them is 6 hours. Pharaoh is indoors, he prefers his home comforts and if caught short will wee in the bath (not something I taught him, just something he does). Kismet is left in the garden with access to the conservatory. The neighbours check on them both throughout the day and have keys to the house if they are concerned about Pharaoh.

I try to make sure they are never left for more the 4-5hrs maximum, but when my workday stretches to 6hrs I think its better to leave them settled than get in a dog walker to disrupt them.

My work hours may change to 8hrs after september, but I will also be working closer to home, so I'm hoping to be able to come home for lunch, but if I can't... I will get a walker in.

ETA. I have left them longer before with no ill effects to them when I got stuck in traffic or in an emergency... Every time the dogs were fine, but I was in bits! Calling everyone, trying to get someone to go and check on them... But it is a horrible feeling, knowing you have left them locked in.. I started to imagine house fires and all sorts! But of course they were all absolutely fine
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 06:02 PM
depends on the dog, mine have been left for 9 hours at a time and are okay,
ATD x
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Mine is left for almost 6 hours four days a week. I work 8.30-1.30 Mon. Tues, Thurs and Fri. I leave the house at 8.10 and am back 13.50ish.

My husband works shifts so 50% of the time he is there with Parker but I walk Parker just before leaving him and he sleeps when I am gone.

I would love to be a "lady of leisure" but needs must and I work to pay the bills to be able to keep Parker in the style he is accustomed to! In the real world most of us have to work although I agree that it is cruel to leave a dog shut up all day with no access to toilet facilities.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 12:17 AM
Thanks everyone, it has been interesting to read this.

I think leaving a dog in an emergency is different to leaving a dog on a regular basis, day in day out. I had to do that with Sam years ago, when we had a family emergency. We did our best, but he did get left for much longer than he would usually get left, but as a one off, it just needs to happen sometimes.

When my parents were on holiday, Jake had to get left for 7 hours while I was at work (OH was too or else I would have got him to keep him company). That is the longest he has even been left, to be honest, he rarely gets left at all but if he does it is usually for an hour or two.

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
the maximum time that the dog is able to cope!
Yeah, but I still think there should be a maximum... I did say that even if a dog copes, there should IMO be a maximum... Jake could cope for a long time I think, probably a full working day, and he would be fine... but would I ever do it? No chance, I couldn't leave him all day with no breaks even if he could cope the whole time.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 12:22 AM
What are peoples' opinions on this scenario...

A dog being left on his own in a house, with no company and no access to outside, for up to 14 hours a day, with two 30 minute walks by a dog walker? And some days, being left for 11 hours solid, with no breaks or walks and still no access to outside and no company?
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 03:36 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post

A dog being left on his own in a house, with no company and no access to outside, for up to 14 hours a day, with two 30 minute walks by a dog walker? And some days, being left for 11 hours solid, with no breaks or walks and still no access to outside and no company?
I wouldn't go out and get a dog if I was working them hours nut if things changed and they were my new hours and my dogs would cope then fine, wOuld be different if they couldn't, again it depends on the dog
ATD x
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 05:48 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post

A dog that has no company for 11 hours may have company for 13 hours

Some dogs do not need more than 2 x 30 minute walks a day greyhounds for example are often promoted as such.

A dog that has no chance to relieve itself for 11 hours daily is probably going to be very uncomfortable (I know I would be) and this could result in health problems.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >