View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 01:09 PM

Advice on introducing 2 dogs please......

Would like a few tips on introducing Teagan to another dog please!

My boyfriend has a collie/lab cross, female, about 3 years old.
We want to introduce her to Teagan, so I can take Teagan with me when I visit, and she wont have to be left at home alone.

As you know, Teagan has 'issues' with other dogs.
She gets on fine with Max & Murphy (Isochicks boxers), and I trust her with them, but not around food or toys. They always eat seperately when they are together.

Teagan has both been attacked, and attacked another dog.
She always stays on lead around other dogs apart from Max and Murphy.

Because his dog is smaller than Teagan, and a bit more hyperactive(!), I have bought a muzzle for when we go into his house - I don't normally like muzzles, but knowing what Teagan can be like, I would rather be safe than sorry.
Obviously we will be introducing them on neutral ground for a walk, and let them get used to each other.

Can anyone offer any more little tips so that their meeting will hopefully go smoothly!
sinead.sheehan@
New Member!
Female 

21-10-2008, 01:50 PM
when i was introducing my dogs and even the dogs to our new cat id almost ignore the new adition and make a big fuss of of my original dog that way there less likely to think of the new adition as a threat now i have two dogs and two cats and they all get on great
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Definitely meet on neutral territory, and maybe just let Teagan 'meet' the other dog almost by accident, as opposed to 'forcing' a meeting.

Keep her on her long line as well maybe, just for a while?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by sinead.sheehan@ View Post
when i was introducing my dogs and even the dogs to our new cat id almost ignore the new adition and make a big fuss of of my original dog that way there less likely to think of the new adition as a threat now i have two dogs and two cats and they all get on great

We will be in his house, not mine, and even though Teagan would be the 'new addition', she is the one that IS a threat, because she can be agressive.
It's nothing to do with jealousy wit Teagan!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Definitely meet on neutral territory, and maybe just let Teagan 'meet' the other dog almost by accident, as opposed to 'forcing' a meeting.

Yeah, she deff won't be getting off lead!!!!!
Only with Max & Murph can she do that at the min!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post

Very good adivce, always meet on neutral ground, and don't make it too formal/stressful for them. Once they have met and if it goes ok then carry on on a walk together.

personally I wouldn't try to put much store in the meeting, if you get what i mean, i think you would need to meet a few time before considering taking them both into a house together especially as you know there are some aggression issues there and one dog is more lively than the other one.

Good Luck!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Very good adivce, always meet on neutral ground, and don't make it too formal/stressful for them. Once they have met and if it goes ok then carry on on a walk together.

personally I wouldn't try to put much store in the meeting, if you get what i mean, i think you would need to meet a few time before considering taking them both into a house together especially as you know there are some aggression issues there and one dog is more lively than the other one.

Good Luck!
Ohh, we're deff walking a few times first! Just wanted to set the scene of what we would ideally like, and get a bit of advice!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 03:10 PM
Good, hope it goes well!