Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 08:30 PM

Exercise for dog with HD?

This is for someone else...

She has a lab bitch with HD who, due to not being allowed offlead to run and chase a ball etc, has put on weight.

She's tried diets but the dog is still overweight and can't afford hydrotherapy.

She wants to try and get some weight off her to try and help keep the HD from getting too bad and from being more painful.

She was thinking of running her alongside a bicycle (not cycling fast) but I think this wouldn't do any good?

Does anyone have any ideas for keeping the weight off without damaging the hips further?

Thanks!

Edit: Can someone please change the title to HD instead of HP? I was having a CRAFT moment Thanks
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 08:37 PM
What a pity she can not lay her hands on a second hand treadmill, she could set it on slow walk and do a few minutes a time.

Hope she can get it sorted.....I take it all the Hydro are expensive round by her, I used to pay £10 per session for Reah...twice a week
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 08:53 PM
No I think it's quite a bit more expensive over here. I looked into it very briefly for Eddy but found it quite expensive

She used to take the dog swimming in the summer at a country park but no longer has a car and is a single mum with a baby so I think things are a bit tight...
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 09:01 PM
Is it hilly near you, try to get the lab in a harness & get the bitch to walk fast up hills, so shes driving from rear end.

I wouldnt remmond a bike till the bitch was fit.

Once the correct muscle is there the exercise shouldnt damage the hips much more as the muscle will hold them in place
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 09:10 PM
Why not just several very brisk walks a couple of times a day - a fast walk can work wonders.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 09:11 PM
Swimming, definitely.

Is he dog insured? If so, she might well be able to get the hydro sessions paid for by the insurance company.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Depends how bad her hips are. My cousin's GSD's hips were so bad he couldn't do much really other than a 10 minute walk before he became too uncomfortable and so put on weight which in turn made his hips worse and rendered him able to do less and less as the years went by.

At this point the only thing suitable then was swimming as the body is supported and the muscles can be strengthened without putting excess strain on the joints and in turn the stronger muscles then help the dog to be able to do more regular walking and such.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks guys,

I'll pass it on.

Sheffield is very hilly so will suggest that, I'm not sure what the owner's level of fitness is like as I would've thought several short brisk walks would be, obvious so assumed there was a reason she couldn't do this.

Random, what you say sounds about right, she says the dog does collapse and is getting heavier and more miserable hence she wants to get the weight off to help her hips.

She used to take her swimming and she said even when swimming in cold water she was much happier and more able - presumably because her weight was supported enough to keep her exercised and the weight off her.

Thanks again, will give her suggestions
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-01-2009, 11:36 PM
Hi Lottie I would treat the dog rather like one with arthritis, small frequent walks rather than long tiring ones, walking on soft ground rather than hard whenever possible because doing so gives less of a jolt to the hip sockets and as Hali suggests swimming/hydrotherapy.
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2009, 12:03 AM
Right Lottie as I'm sure you're aware the single most important thing they can do (apart from surgery that it) is to get the weight off, they need to simply cut down the amount of food if she is putting on weight.

Exercise that provides for good range of motion and muscle building and limits wear and tear on the joints is the best. Lead walking, swimming, walking on treadmills, and slow jogging are excellent low-impact exercises.

Massage by petting the area and work up to gently kneading the muscles around the joint with your fingertips using a small, circular motion. Gradually work your way out to the surrounding muscles. Moist heat is also beneficial.

Warm comfortable sleeping area, warm jumper and so on may be of benefit.

Oral supplements such as Glucosamine and chondroitin, Green-lipped muscle, Omega-3 Fatty Acids, kelp (msm), Duralactin, has anti-inflammatory properties and is produced from the milk of grass fed cows, creatine, which is an amino acid found in red meat and fish and can help the muscles to work longer. Some tetracyclines such as doxycycline and minocycline have been shown to inhibit enzymes that break down cartilage. Vitamin C may be of some benefit but caution needs to be used so as not to overdose. Then of course there are the usuals ; buffered asprin (but care must be taken with a dog who may be prone to sensitive stomach. Rimadyl and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs may be used as anti-inflamitory and possibly as a last resort there are Corticosteroids which although very effective as anti-inflammatory should only really be used as a last resort due to there side effects.

Hope that gives a few ideas.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >