register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What do you expect from a Dog Show?
I go to win 6 20.69%
I go to make the numbers up 0 0%
Someone has to be chucked out 2 6.90%
I go for a chat & meet friends 9 31.03%
I go to watch dogs & learn more 12 41.38%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2005, 01:59 PM
I really really wanted to qualify for crufts but didn't realise how hard it was going to be,but once we started showing i got the show bug and we really used to enjoy going.
Our dog also used to enjoy herself too a chance for her to show off
We got booted so many times but i always said i took the best dog home
I also loved meeting up with friends that we would only see at shows,having a good natter and a couple of drinks in the bar
It didn't matter if we got booted,we went to enjoy our day and winning isn't everything.
Sal
Yorkie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-12-2005, 02:54 PM
There are lots of reasons why people go to shows however I'm sure that if everyone is completely honest there is a big part of them that wants to win even if thats not the only reason they go!
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2005, 03:42 PM
when I used to go to shows ( a long time ago now) it was just as a bit of fun and to meet people but I gave up the showing side of things as it became sooo bitchy and really not enjoyable at all
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-12-2005, 04:05 PM
I ticked 'I go to win', but it's not quite as simple as that really. I go to Open Shows hoping to win, because I love to win, who doesn't, it's a great feeling, but I go to Championship shows to meet friends and get chatting and also to watch and learn.

When I think of all the preparation that goes into getting American Cockers ready for a show, it would be a waste of effort if I thought we had no chance. Many times we do 'get chucked' but if I felt there was no hope, I wouldn't bother at all. In fact this past 12 months I haven't bothered very much, I'm hoping my enthusiasm returns after the new year, and I can get back into the swing of it. I think it's when you have a lean period, success wise, I need a nice little win to keep me going.

Dawn R.

PS, I have gone to make up the numbers too. I've taken clipped off dogs that had no chance of winning, simply to support the judge. Up and coming judges need to get their hands on good dogs and dogs with faults, for experience.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2005, 04:11 PM
i put the last one yes its nice to go to shows to participate and of course nice if you win but i took the boys to a show to learn more the first show i took the boys to we won all the categories but it was just a one of my boys are not for showing i just wanted to have a go and see what it was like
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-12-2005, 04:45 PM
I tried to post here earlier, but, just after I voted ("meet people") we had another damned power cut (second this week!), then I had to go round filling the oil lamps (empty after the last blackout).

The only shows I've ever entered were the local agricultural shows - Kali used to have some success (no first, but a raft of places, nevertheless). He was entered just to show that we were trying to be part of the community, and not just "damned incomers!". It was the taking part that mattered - any little rosettes were just the icing on the cake. I've used the past tense because Kali, being nearly twelve, has retired.

The judging seemed to be a bit unfair here: latterly, judges were passing him by just because he was "old". Kali has got used to getting a wee rosette, and seemed to be quite upset if he didn't get one (he KNEW rosettes were "good dog" things, and not getting one must have seemed as if he hadn't done what he was expected to do )

IMO, all the dogs entering should be judged equally, regardless of their age. If Kali had been trained to sheep, I think he could still be out working well today - he's still fit, MAYBE slighly more deaf than he'd like, but he still responds quickly to a whistle. He loves going to the shows, but I'm not sure that he understands why he's not going into the ring to strut his stuff

Snorri

(Regardless, I am still very proud of him = always have been, always will be.
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2005, 05:22 PM
I voted to watch and learn. I myself am not involved with dog showing, but my stepmother has shown her setters for many years and I have been to many dog shows, both champion and companion.
I would love to get a puppy and start showing with my next dog. I like the idea of a hobby, an interest, and something both me and the dog can enjoy!

Also, I would def have ticked SHOPPING!!!! I am dangerous at dog shows!!! I was called 'The bag lady of Birmingham' last time I went to Crufts!
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-12-2005, 05:39 PM
Of course, there was a competitive edge to it as well, at first - it was important to see Kali beat his litter-brother Merlin occasionally!

One of the times he DID beat his brother Merlin: they won't even look at each other!

Snorri
Mel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2005, 08:48 PM
I ticked 'meet friends' but I always *hope* to either win or get placed obviously There are certain judges that there really is no point going under as they have their favourite types and Delly isn't one of them ..those shows I don;t bother going to
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2005, 10:30 PM
I go to win but in terms of....
I try to turn my dog out to the best possible standard;
I try to dress suitably out of courtesy to the judge who has usually made a great effort to look good;
I try to show my dog off to his best advantage in a way that makes it fun for him so he wants to do it again; getting round without falling flat on my face is another plus!
Sometimes we win, more often we don't. I am used to being disappointed and I think that what separates the true sporting people from the ones you may rather not know is how you handle things when you get beaten. For every winner there are many who didn't - on that day. It's a competitive situation and as in any competitive situation be it dog shows, applying for a job or racing a friend to the bus stop - I do my very best to win but not to the point where I am upset by a bad day or my dog starts to hate it and play up. Plus - I always congratulate the winner, however surprising the result!
That is not to say that other reasons for entering are not valid because they are - and in different circumstances with another dog I may have a totally different reason for being there on the day.
Some of us go to collect another CC, some of us try yet again to qualify for Crufts..... some of us simply want to go home with a card. It would be a dull place if we all wanted the same thing and were so fixated on it that only a handful of dogs ever entered shows........
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >