Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 03:38 PM

Dogmatic

Tala walks to heel on a collar but I like to use a headcollar at busy times as she can be bouncy around other dogs. Also because I am thinking about taking two dogs out on the lead together eventually.

So I thought I would invest in a Dogmatic. It arrived yesterday and seems tight around the muzzle. Also the muzzle bit sits much further down than that on the halti. A smaller size would be much too tight and a larger size would sit even lower I expect.

Just interested in other people's experience of this headcollar. I am thinking of sending it back and sticking to the halti.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-01-2011, 04:51 PM
i had them for my 4 but couldnt cope with the buckle so opted for the black dog one instead havent looked back since,only had to replace 2 when charlie ate 2 of them!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 05:21 PM
The Ls and non-L versions have slightly different fits which is worth considering too.
This is Kiki in a size too small - this was a 3, but it was too tight around the bottom of the jaw/around the muzzle

I ended up ordering the 4 - this is the right size around the head (Casper's 3L was a little too big) but a bit bigger around the muzzle and as a result isn't so tight under the muzzle, around the bottom of her jaw either.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 08:41 PM
I ordered one off the site (the size it stated for my breed), but it was too big.
I emailed Dogmatic, and they asked for my dogs measurements, and advised me which size I needed, and I sent the wrong size back to be exchanged

I much prefer the dogmatic to the halti
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-01-2011, 08:50 PM
dogmatic's are fab I have one for my dog it does not rub like I found with the halti I much prefer it to a halti as I like the way it works.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 11:31 PM
I love Jakes dogmatic! I tried the gentle leader first, but Jake wouldnt walk with it on, so i got him a dogmatic. This is his...

I think his is a size 3... cant remember but im sure it is

Maybe if you called or emailed them, and gave them her measurements, they could help with what size would be best.
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-01-2011, 11:42 PM
They are meant to sit lower than a halti, thats why its such a good headcollar cos it doesn't ride up into their eyes

Jann xx
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 11:46 PM
I have recently started using a Dogmatic and it is literally the only thing I have found in over six months that stops Dex lunging and pulling all the time. And I've tried virtually every other headcollar out there.

Yes, the slipline does sit a bit lower than with other brands, I know what you mean. But I think this is good - apparently there are tear glands just under the dog's eyes and so the Halti, which always rode up into Dex's eyes, and ditto with the GL, used to irritate him constantly.

Also try as they might, dogs cannot get the Dogmatic off. Finally as it doesn't tighten around their faces, it should be more comfortable than other brands which do.

I emailed Dogmatic for sizing advice and they responded swiftly - have you contacted them for guidance?

They're very helpful
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2011, 10:46 AM
This is Tala in her halti

and in her dogmatic

It looks really uncomfortable and comes across her mouth. The pictures of dogmatics people have posted look much better fitting.

I did ring them to say it was a tight fit and was told to take her for a walk in it to see if it rubbed.

(And I checked the measurements with them before ordering)
Avani
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Maybe send these pics to them in an email and see what they think?

I have been using a Canny Collar with Dougie for 4 years (it was a condition of his adoption) I have always praised it, as it really takes the edge of him, but its never stopped him lunging at certain dogs he dislikes (namely a large Greyhound down the road with dog aggression issues) and he has learned how to use his paw to take it off in a second or 2 when he is not pre-occupied by me.

Ironmountain Large Breed Rescue highly praises the Dogmatic - and it appears to really help people control large dogs who are prone to lunge, giving them a better opportunity to concentrate on training as opposed to bracing! I have decided on one of these for Dougie, as its apparently impossible for the dog to remove.

Looking forward to seeing how people get on with them.

P.S Dougie is an Amercian Bulldog x Labrador - I went for size 4
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >