Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
I was a veggie who doesn't do nuts..... and can remember going round my Dad's for Xmas dinner when he produced a brazil nut roast
I just used to have all the veg instead, which is why now I eat so much veg, love it.

I was living in California too and it was not easy being veggie in the US. Even their baked beans had pork fat in them, so I had to buy vegetarian baked beans by Heinz.

Cheese is my killer too. I love cheese, could give up chocolate, but never cheese.
Ah yes the famous nut roast... I had years of enduring them at Christmas that or nut cutlets.. I do love nuts, especially brazils, but prefer them covered in chocolate or honey and salt..
I remember reading that the US was hard to find places to eat veggie food...
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 02:56 PM
I eat meat becaus eI like the taste and because imo humans are designed to be omnivores ( I know a lot has changed since we were designed and there have been advances in what is readily available)

I used to work locally delivering from the slaughter house to butchers and I choose meat from Butchers I know buy from farms where welfare is important and care is taken in transportation etc.

I was brought up in a family where my dad went fishing and shooting and regularly helped him pluck and skin, my last partner went out shooting regularly and meat was often hanging in the shed.

I much prefer my meat to be already prepared, but if I had to I could and would.

I am also a bit confused about vegetarians who say they don't eat meat because of welfare issues but will eat fish and shellfish (as farming/catching of those and sometimes cooking of those is hideously cruel) or consume other products which contain animal derivatives. Thats fine if you don't eat meat because you don't like it but imo isn't fine if you don't eat meat on grounds of welfare.

At the end ofthe day each to their own but I personally eat meat because I like it and I use other animal products as I think as little as possible should be wasted as at the end of the day an animal has died (and by that very statement has in most cases, sadly, undergone some degree of suffering)
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
I eat meat becaus eI like the taste and because imo humans are designed to be omnivores ( I know a lot has changed since we were designed and there have been advances in what is readily available)

I used to work locally delivering from the slaughter house to butchers and I choose meat from Butchers I know buy from farms where welfare is important and care is taken in transportation etc.

I was brought up in a family where my dad went fishing and shooting and regularly helped him pluck and skin, my last partner went out shooting regularly and meat was often hanging in the shed.

I much prefer my meat to be already prepared, but if I had to I could and would.

I am also a bit confused about vegetarians who say they don't eat meat because of welfare issues but will eat fish and shellfish (as farming/catching of those and sometimes cooking of those is hideously cruel) or consume other products which contain animal derivatives. Thats fine if you don't eat meat because you don't like it but imo isn't fine if you don't eat meat on grounds of welfare.

At the end ofthe day each to their own but I personally eat meat because I like it and I use other animal products as I think as little as possible should be wasted as at the end of the day an animal has died (and by that very statement has in most cases, sadly, undergone some degree of suffering)

People who claim to be vegetarian but eat fish are not vegetarians according to the dictionary definition of a vegetarian .
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Don't get me wrong... I will never try to convert people from veggie/vegan to being a meat eater.

However, I just think it's very simplistic to say we should all stop eating meat and the farmers and other people involved in the farming/meat industry will have to just sort it out themselves. If someone has farmed animals for 40 years, they can't just go and grow corn or wheat, it doesn't work like that!

And, lets face it - getting rid of all the cattle etc won't do a darned thing to help climate change. Stopping people flying all over the world unnecessarily, stopping places like China etc building new coal power stations, getting people out of their private cars etc would have more of a impact.
Excellent post again Isochick and one I agree with 100%.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
People who claim to be vegetarian but eat fish are not vegetarians according to the dictionary definition of a vegetarian .
Totally agree,

but I am surprised that there are a lot of people who do take the stand they say they are vegetarian, and they themselves use that term, or they say I don't eat meat as I don't like the way animals are treated etc, which are imo good enough reasons to not eat meat but they will eat fish shellfuish and use products containing other animal derivatives and I just wonder do they not think there is still an element of suffering.

true vegetarians who have nothing to do with animal products and have chosen that way of life as an ethical stance are different to those who will choose which types of living creatures are to be subjected to low standards of welfare
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
Likewise I would never try and convert anyone the other way. At no point in time will everyone be vegetarian or vegan but I would love for the mass production to stop. The supermarkets have made meat too cheap and forced corners to be cut. I think as many of you that still eat meat have said if your meat is sourced locally and a fair price is paid (one that enables the farmers to farm properly) then I don't have an issue with it. My OH still eats meat and that's his choice!
Totally agree with this. I would love for mass production to be completely abolished, for welfare standards in ALL farms/abattoirs to be raised, inspections to be thorough and regular and for people to have to pay a fair price for their meat. It would mean a stop to factory farming and low welfare standards, and farmers would get a fair price. The meat eating public could buy their meat knowing it was of the highest standard and not off an animal production line and if that meant it cost more, then fine by me. People would have to perhaps eat less meat if the cost were higher, but I have no problem with that.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Totally agree with this. I would love for mass production to be completely abolished, for welfare standards in ALL farms/abattoirs to be raised, inspections to be thorough and regular and for people to have to pay a fair price for their meat. It would mean a stop to factory farming and low welfare standards, and farmers would get a fair price. The meat eating public could buy their meat knowing it was of the highest standard and not off an animal production line and if that meant it cost more, then fine by me. People would have to perhaps eat less meat if the cost were higher, but I have no problem with that.
I agree with this, no I would never eat meat again myself, but I think if the mass production was stopped, farmers got a fair deal out of their livestock, not mere pennies, they wouldn't need to pump them full of crap, the meat would taste better and welfare would, I hope, be better for the animal...
I respect the people who buy locally, supporting local butchers and farmers. I also have nothing against those who go on shoots and kill their game, its just not for me
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
Totally agree,

but I am surprised that there are a lot of people who do take the stand they say they are vegetarian, and they themselves use that term, or they say I don't eat meat as I don't like the way animals are treated etc, which are imo good enough reasons to not eat meat but they will eat fish shellfuish and use products containing other animal derivatives and I just wonder do they not think there is still an element of suffering.

true vegetarians who have nothing to do with animal products and have chosen that way of life as an ethical stance are different to those who will choose which types of living creatures are to be subjected to low standards of welfare
I totally agree with you .
I am a true vegetarian as an ethical stance against the way animals are treated .
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Can I just ask something else, what is the difference between a 'normal' slaughter and a 'halal' slaughter, I watched a programme where this woman would only buy halal meat...?
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Halal slaughter is where the animal's throat is slit and it bleeds to death, and animals have to be slaughtered in that way to be considered edible according to Islamic law. I think the same or similar goes for Kosher meat too. There was some talk about it becoming mandatory for the animals to be stunned first as they are with regular meat, but I'm not sure if that ever went through. If it's carried out correctly Halal slaughter is supposed to be painless iirc. But of course to do it properly the animal has to be very firmly restrained, so it's more stressful I'd imagine.
Page 13 of 25 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 > Last »