Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-12-2008, 09:28 AM

Aviemore - accomodation and skiing

Me and hubby are thinking of going on a long weekend to Aviemore for some cross country skiing in Jan/Feb if there is a good snowfall.

I was wondering if anyone has taken their dogs there, and if they know of any dog friendly accomodation in or around that area.

My second question is whether you think Cox (standard coated gsd) will need any protection from the snow if he is accompanying us, along the lines of booties, or a dog coat. It is bitterly cold up there in the snow. I am doubtful he will need a coat as he will be on the move the whole time, but I know prolonged exposure to snow can sometimes cause paw soreness.

Thirdly, has anyone visited the sleddog centre there? Or actually gone on one of the sleddog excursions?

Cheers!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2008, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by skilaki View Post
Me and hubby are thinking of going on a long weekend to Aviemore for some cross country skiing in Jan/Feb if there is a good snowfall.

I was wondering if anyone has taken their dogs there, and if they know of any dog friendly accomodation in or around that area.

My second question is whether you think Cox (standard coated gsd) will need any protection from the snow if he is accompanying us, along the lines of booties, or a dog coat. It is bitterly cold up there in the snow. I am doubtful he will need a coat as he will be on the move the whole time, but I know prolonged exposure to snow can sometimes cause paw soreness.

Thirdly, has anyone visited the sleddog centre there? Or actually gone on one of the sleddog excursions?

Cheers!
That sounds like fun

I stayed in a dog-friendly cottage at Newtonmore a few years ago, but that was for a week. They may do short breaks though.

I doubt Cox would need a coat, but it might be worth getting him some of those leather dog boots, as the snow and ice may cut his pads or cause soreness if he is running in it all day.

I haven't been to the sled dog centre, but would LOVE to.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Columba House Hotel in Kingussie is very nice and they take dogs, dogs arent allowed in the restaurant or the bar, but can be left in the rooms and the rooms have a very reasonably priced mini bar. Also the Silver Fjord takes dogs, also in Kingussie, and they are allowed in the lounge barwhere food is served aswell as the rooms. The star Inn is a very basic hotel but dogs allowed there, have never stayed but have had a bar lunch there.

In Aviemore itself we have had trouble finding dog friendly hotels but there are plenty of chalets etc. The weekend of, i think its the 24th is the Aviemore sled dog Rally, we are going to watch, its meant to be great. Another plkace worth visiting is the reindeer herd (no dogs allowed)
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2008, 03:09 PM
Here is the cottage we stayed in ...

I will see if I can find the details online.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2008, 03:33 PM
When are you thinking of going? if its around the time they have the avemore sled rally you may be hard pushed to get anywhere, I know we had to book 12 months in advance to get accomodation.

Mo
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Thank you everyone.

Moobli - that cottage looks ideal - a week is tempting! If you could find the details online, I would be much obliged

Benzmum, thank you for all the details of the accomodation in Kingussie. You said the sleddog rally is the 24th, what month is it in? Do you have any details (webpage?) of the reindeer herd as that sounds good too!

I would love to see that. Mo I take it you have been to the sleddog rally. What is it like, and is there a lot to entertain non sled dog owners? I'm entertained by all dogs of course, but was just wondering if there are good bits for spectators and any demos etc.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2008, 06:12 PM
The reindeer herds website is http://www.reindeer-company.demon.co.uk/

The bit about the sled dog Rally can be found on http://www.siberianhuskyclub.com/aviemore

We are still looking for accomodation that weekend aswell but so far the Columba house has vaccancies (we have stayed there before reccommend it) and so does SilverFjord (we have eaten there). Also if you want something posher try laterooms as they have a "good" rate for the Hilton at Coylumbridge(just outside aviemore on the road to the slopes, reindeer herd and sled dogs) they have a pool etc and dogs are allowed though I would suspect only in the rooms. If you do want to book that because you have the dog I would phone them direct quoting rate on Laterooms.com and tell them you want to bring a dog.

Maybe see you up there if you are there the 24/25th January 2009 for the Sled dog rally I am sure the presentations etc are in the Hilton hotel (mentioned above) on the Sunday or Monday.. I'd love to stay but its a bit out ofour price range (I think!!! )
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2008, 10:23 AM
I believe the Cairngorm Hotel in Aviemore let's dogs stay, so I was told by someone who stayed there with two dogs.
We have just booked a cottage there for March. It is called Clairinch and has a nice garden. She said dogs were fine as it has wood floors.