Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AJL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-09-2006, 04:14 PM

How bad are some premium brands

I figure there is a no name and shame policy on here, so wont go into specifics. I must also apologise if this is a repost, but had my eyes opened to what exactly we have been feeding our dog for the last 12 months

Apparently, 80% of the food is moisture.. what the hell??? So im paying god knows how much for a can of water?!!?

The remaining 20% is largely other bulking agents, with only about 5% actually being meat.

But then you could hardly call chicken feet, heads lungs meat now can you!!

Is this widely known that actually we may be feeding this filth to our dogs?

Even some of the vet recommended brands are bad.

Have to say, i was very shocked, and have changed the feed now, hopefully to something a little better

Again, apologies if this is old news. We've only had Saffy for 10 moinths, and never really thought to look at the nutritional lable of her food before!
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2006, 04:29 PM
It's pretty disgusting, isn't it? Sadly, some people feed themselves and their children sausages made out of much the same kind of stuff stuff, so I can only assume they don't think it's all that bad.
AJL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-09-2006, 04:39 PM
THink we need a doggy jamie oliver to change it all

Considering most people (myself included) consider their pet to be part of the family, why should we be forced to compromise on the food. And how the big brands get away with it is unbelievable
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2006, 05:59 PM
It is a sorry state of affairs isn't it. The muck some of the companies would have us feed our beloved animals! Cunningly disguised by using different words for the ingredients!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2006, 07:09 PM
It's a mire, and no mistake. However, there are a lot of very very good dog feeds out there, and of course, there's always the BARF route.

I was also guilty of feeding rubbish, but I'm a reformed character now.....
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-09-2006, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by AJL
I figure there is a no name and shame policy on here, so wont go into specifics. I must also apologise if this is a repost, but had my eyes opened to what exactly we have been feeding our dog for the last 12 months

Apparently, 80% of the food is moisture.. what the hell??? So im paying god knows how much for a can of water?!!?

The remaining 20% is largely other bulking agents, with only about 5% actually being meat.

But then you could hardly call chicken feet, heads lungs meat now can you!!

Is this widely known that actually we may be feeding this filth to our dogs?

Even some of the vet recommended brands are bad.

Have to say, i was very shocked, and have changed the feed now, hopefully to something a little better

Again, apologies if this is old news. We've only had Saffy for 10 moinths, and never really thought to look at the nutritional lable of her food before!
Hi AJL welcome to Dogsey ...
I am not the least surprised with the content of many brands of dogfood, one only has to stand in a supermarket queue and see what people feed their children ...

Children or dogs there is no substitute for feeding good quality fresh food.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2006, 08:04 PM
When I done my course on dog and cat nutrition we had to boil various cans of dog food.
With the majority you end up with about a tablespoon of actual solid food.
So bear in mind next time you spend god knows what on a tin of food and give it to your dog or cat they are actually getting very little to eat and you very little for your money.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2006, 09:48 PM
its not just canned food thats full of c**p dried food is just as guilty.

its not natural to feed a dog dried food and the poor quality of ingredients that a lot of the top names put in is appalling and totally alien to a dog!!!!

i found all this out when researching a food that would suit H after Bloat.

only 1 dried food fit the bill but he spat it out in disgust so i now mix canned with veg/fruit and raw chicken and he loves it.
best of both worlds and a happy dog
Tigger2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-09-2006, 10:12 PM
I am new to owning a dog and so I was totally naive as to what 'good' dog food actually was. Everyone I knew with dogs told me their favourites and then after a little while (but before I got Tigs) I took to researching it on the net. What a shock!
I tried Burns but Tigger didnt really take to it so now he has JWB. Occasionally he will have some HiLife special care tinned food mixed in and if he has an upset stomach at all, chicken and rice.

Apart from this, Im not sure what 'human' food Tigger is allowed at four and a half months. Can he have fruit, vegetables and cheese now and again?

Pets At Home has brought out a new food which seems to rival JWB, called Wainwrights. Has anyone tried this yet and if so, what are your views?

(If we really arent supposed to use names then I will delete the post...and sorry. )
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2006, 10:38 PM
It is terrible what the manufacturers get away with, that's why I've started out on the BARF route. At least I know what my dog is eating and she definitely appreciates it!

Tigger - Everything you've listed would be fine to give Tigger, just moderate it in relation to the pups size! Don't feed him grapes or raisins etc though as they're poisonous!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >