View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2015, 06:21 PM
I like Labby guys (GUYS, not girls), but they aren't always super affectionate like snuggly etc. Neither one of them could sit still and be petted for any length of time. Neither dog likes being snuggled up to you, as well. They ARE, however, very loyal dogs and they both follow(ed) me everywhere and never left my side. If you want a dog who will be there each time you turn around, the Labby dudes will do it. Teaching recall wasn't even really necessary, they just come along when they see you walk off. I don't like dogs in my bed, so I am not a giant fan of the snuggly types.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2015, 06:27 PM
Thanks everyone!! As I said I'm just having a think just now!!

I have quite a big list of dogs I want to look into more when puppy time comes.... Was just wondering in case anyone came up with any other options!!
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2015, 06:52 PM
All breeds of dog are affectionate - it comes down to the individual animal, and how well they've been brought up, not really the breed.

I've met adorable pugs, and nasty little snappy-growly ones. I've met the sweetest Frenchies and totally indifferent ones. I've come across Rotties who would do anything for a bear-hug, and others who would take your hand off as soon as look at you.

If you are still choosing a breed, go for convenience; one that will fit in with your lifestyle in terms of exercise, feeding and grooming needs. Read up about the health-issues for your chosen breeds, and if you've never owned a dog before, read a few books about dog-training.

Frenchies and Pugs have become hugely popular recently, with the result that back-yard breeders are popping up everywhere. Be ultra-careful about who you take a puppy from - A pedigree-registered puppy doesn't mean it's had a good start in life! Use an accredited KC breeder ONLY, visit them before the puppies are born if you can; insist on seeing the mother, and preferably, ensure the litter is brought up in the house, NOT in an outside kennel.

This may mean you have to wait for a puppy - good! You'll need that time, to buy all you need for pupster, check out local puppy-classes, find walks that will be good places to socialize him/her, and if you're going to use a dog-walker, meet a few and see how you get on with them.

Pugs and Frenchie pups can easily cost over a thousand pounds nowadays, you might want to take that into account!
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-05-2015, 09:15 PM
Got to say Mastiff of temperament are huge cuddle bugs, hence the saying Gentle Giants.

And there more to snuggle with.

lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2015, 12:21 AM
Owing to BSL and all where you are I would suggest a Staffie. I've owned several dogs over the years. But the bull breeds as a whole seem to be totally people pleasing. It's a bit weird sometimes actually. I was a cat person for many, many years. Guess I got used to pets who see you as staff. Both dogs now follow my every move. As I go room to room floor to floor I'm never alone. There's even paws under the door when I use the bathroom...if they haven't gotten in there first...
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2015, 12:51 AM
Since losing my last dog alfie has become completely attached to me! He's still okay at my parents or if I need to go out, but if I'm in the house he follows me everywhere and if I'm lying down he comes over and jams himself next to me!!

It's just nice as he was never like this before Breagh!!
Dorrit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-05-2015, 05:27 AM
I used to have the most affectionate dog. He would sit at my feet . he would lay with his head in your lap as you watched tv or read a book ..If anyone was upset me or the children he would try to lick away our tears and hated us covering our faces to cry he would nudge away our hands and nuzzle up to us..

If the children fought he would push between them to stop them and when my neighbours collie got snow stuck in her paws he stood and licked her paws clean so that she could walk pain free..

But he wasnt one of the cutsey popular breeds he was a Bouvier des Flanders...
http://bouvierclub.co.uk/
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2015, 06:57 AM
Having had so many breeds over the years I can honestly say that Pepsi (JRT) is the most affectionate that I have had but as Meg said it is very much down to the individual dog.
Hope you find your perfect snuggle partner soon and can we have loads of pics please
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

13-05-2015, 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
but as Meg said it is very much down to the individual dog.
Yes agree, also look beyond the dog, look at the human(s) who have been involved in his/her life.

If you are getting a puppy then interrogate the breeder vigorously.

Just look at what happened when someone rang Tawnywolf with a request to use her dog, a few questions and she goes into a huff and puts the phone down.

Typical of a bad breeder and you don't want to get a puppy from someone like that.

You MUST see the parents and if possible for a long time and over several visits.
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2015, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by LMost View Post
Got to say Mastiff of temperament are huge cuddle bugs, hence the saying Gentle Giants.

And there more to snuggle with.

Aww, what a cuddle-monster!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >