Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kim1369
New Member!
Female 

11-05-2015, 01:30 AM

Dog Breeds to Consider?

I'm looking for a family dog that is on the smaller scale, but not a teacup breed. I'm looking into shelter dogs, I'm not going to get one from a breeder. This is just to give me ideas on what I should look for.
We have a very well tempered, patient 8 year old that isn't a naggy, pulling at their ears type kid. We also have a 14 year old teen who is definitely responsible and really really patient, quite athletic too.
We're looking to get a dog that is medium or small. We've looked into spaniels, some toy dogs, setters, shelties, etc.

We're looking for a somewhat active dog but doesn't need hours on end energy burning.

Not very fond of drool, fur is totally fine though. (not exactly looking for a Puli or Bearded Collie though..)

We have all 4 seasons, sometimes very harsh winters, pretty warm and humid summers.

We've got a huge backyard, half fenced (back and side) and the whole house is surrounded by an in-ground electric fence.

We will be gone about 7 hours on weekdays. My daughter is willing to wake up in the morning earlier to walk the dog. Summer break's close so we can acommodate to the dog's needs more easily (the kids on the block are always out playing)
Because we'll be gone so much, we can't have little toy breeds who can't hold their bladders, plus it wouldn't be healthy.

We're not looking into super high-energy breeds such as collies, pointers, herding dogs, etc. I will consider a few things though.

We want a relatively healthy breed. (hard to say for mixed rescue dogs though)

If anyone has had a dog of some breed that would be well suited for something like this, it'd be great.

Also, let me know what I should and should NOT look for.
Kim1369
New Member!
Female 

11-05-2015, 01:31 AM
We've owned a Pointer/Border Collie mix (rescue dog too) and he was extremely high energy, we couldn't handle that all that easily so we decided to return him to the shelter after a while. We knew he'd find a happier place to be that way.
Dorrit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-05-2015, 05:24 AM
Beagles should be on your NO list.

Although they get listed as family dogs they dont like to be left alone and can be destructive if lonely. They can be very noisy and although they seem laid back once the get a scent even the most relaxed beagle turns into a nose on legs that just keeps going and going...
Their recall is patchy esp if you havent had them from pup and trained hard with them so please dont be fooled by the cute ears and the adorable eyes ..
Beagles are not for the faint hearted.