Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-05-2015, 02:04 PM

Oops Guilty of

stroking strange dog with out owners permission .

I came out of the post office today and a young man was standing there waiting with a beautiful black, working cocker who was looking slightly nervous so i said hello , arent you gorgeous ( to the dog )and then stoked her.
I then suddenly realised I'd totally ignored the owner.

I apologised but luckily he wasnt bothered ,I guess he doesnt mind potty old dog ladies !

But really , after after all the moaning I do about people trying to stroke my dogs , I should know better!!!
Dorrit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-05-2015, 02:55 PM
I bet we are all guilty of it now and then...

I do try not to encourage strange dogs .. I gotfollowed this morning and I know its because I carry a little treat bag for my boys but I never feed other dogs ..

If someone does it once I will excuse it as a spur of the moment thing but people who refuse to be told no do get on my nerves..
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-05-2015, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by Dibbythedog View Post
But really , after after all the moaning I do about people trying to stroke my dogs , I should know better!!!
@ Alison...
I know I shouldn't but I usually approach the dogs left tied up outside Waitrose when I am going in .
They looks so miserable
I don't 'threaten' by staring at them but approach with glances, a smile and happy voice.
They usually ignore me being intent on looking for their owners...
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-05-2015, 03:59 PM
Don't worry Nippy a couple of weeks ago I was also guilty of much the same thing. I'd just put my two in the car after training and went to pay our trainer only to find he was helping someone to unload a car whilst holding on to a Cocker Spaniel. So I offered to take the dog for a short walk round until he'd finished. He was such a lovely friendly boy I was very tempted to pop him into my car whilst no one was looking and take him home with me!
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-05-2015, 05:32 PM
It's funny the amount of people who will side step or cross the street from Lulu a 25 to 30lb APBT or Waldo a 75 to 80lb AmStaff, but then will run up to pet or hug Mouse a 175lb Mastiff.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2015, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post
Don't worry Nippy a couple of weeks ago I was also guilty of much the same thing.
It wasn't me
When I went to vote on Thurs there was a lady sat outside with a Cavachon and a Border terrier. I spoke to the Cavachon and gave her a tickle then went to speak to the Border Terrier. The husband moved out of my way but went the wrong way! So I explained I wanted to talk to the dog not get past. It caused a giggle that is was the dogs that were important to me.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-05-2015, 08:27 AM
Meg, (I hate seeing dogs tied up outside shops m, apart from being stolen they are at risk from off lead dogs.

Dorrit , I am very good at not feeding other dogs without permission. My bridge baby Dibby used to suffer from colitis so I'm aware that it could harm a dog.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-05-2015, 08:31 AM
Chlosmum,

LMost. A bloke at my local park has a staffie and it wears a harness with Friendly embroidered in yellow on it .
My two little'uns tend to be reactive and bark at bigger dogs so I avoid them but if its staffie or ambull I always call out and explain , its not their dog thats the problem its mine!
Popster
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-05-2015, 09:22 AM
Hey, I like that the Staffie with 'friendly' on its harness!

I have a question here and its not related to Poppy I'm just interested. We all know we are responsible for our dogs but what would happen if someone foolishly went to pet a dog tied up outside a shop and the dog nipped them? They had approached the dog who was just sitting waiting for the owner to come back. Now should that dog be blamed or what?
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-05-2015, 08:59 PM
I think unfortunately it would be the dog at fault, technically it was out of control and with new UK laws that cover private property this would be covered as a place that a bite can now be prosecuted.

I will talk softly to a dog waiting outside a shop if it shows a friendly interest in me but I am always hesitant about petting them, most of them are so focused on waiting for their owners or look so scared that I don't think they want me in their way, plus I don't want someone thinking I'm about to steal the dog.
I will pet dogs out and about that come close enough to me and I'm confident that their body language is purely friendly and not nervous and friendly (which to me means they want to be near, but not ready to be touched). And of course is their owner tells the dog to leave or asked me not to touch their dog then that's find and I'll apologise and move on. I have made a point of asking in the past when I've been out somewhere where there are children (in hopes of modeling the desired behaviour) or if the dog is paying little to no interest in me but too cute to ignore. Usually a rottie, husky, mal or GSD, those I struggle to walk past...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >