Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dorrit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-05-2015, 05:44 AM

Getting old.

My boys are getting on now and Im making allowences for them best I can..

They no longer jump in or out of the car but are lifted. I make sure I guide them down the stairs each morning.

There are little extra toilet breaks in the garden so that they dont have to hold their bladder too long and for the little one the choice of if and when he comes with us for a walk.

He has always been nervous but since Feb when my other dog (a beagle ) was attacked he has been terrible and refuses to leave the house except to go into the garden once its dark. He also hates walking around the neighbourhood so I take them somewhere in the car each morning and most afternoons..
Im paying out a bit more on petrol but the peace of mind and happiness of my boys comes first.

Our walks are slower now and not so far, we have a couple of rest stops and I always have a bottle of water with me so they can have a drink..

Have I forgotten anything?
Does anyone else find themselves having to make lots of adjustments for their senior dog? You read so much advice about pups and their needs but sometimes I think the older dogs get a bit forgotten..
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-05-2015, 09:20 AM
Does anyone else find themselves having to make lots of adjustments for their senior dog? You read so much advice about pups and their needs but sometimes I think the older dogs get a bit forgotten..
Amy developed CCD when she was about 14 and I had to make lots of adjustments when my fearless little dog suddenly became fearful of things. I think her perception of sound changed too, this could have been partly due to some loss of hearing making once familiar sounds seem scary and threatening.

Her night turned to day with nocturnal wandering.
I used to 'sense' her standing by my bed in the night in the dark so would get up and talk to her gently then settle her down again . She had a dog door into the garden and took herself out if she needed to go and was always clean right to the end.

A heart condition meant Amy could no longer manage long walks but she went at her own pace and was happy to potter in the field . Being small I was able to carry her if she showed signs of becoming too tired.

I never minded any of her CCD related idiosyncrasies , such a small price to pay for 16 years of companionship and devotion..
Dorrit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-05-2015, 01:45 PM
Can I ask what were the first signs of the CCD?

Remy has always been a bit daft but he has started staring into nothing and often doing a little head nod ( much like old people) . He will sometimes just stand and stare at a closed door too..
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-05-2015, 02:10 PM
I'm sorry to hear your dog was attacked and now frightened to go out

I used to push my tiny old boy Dibs around in a dog buggy or carry him . I used to push him to the park and then he would walk but if he was tired or i saw another dog I didnt trust, i would pop him back in .
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-05-2015, 03:46 PM
Your pups are very lucky to have such a caring and concerned individual as an owner.
The only thing I would add is more frequent vet check ups and if they aren't already then something to help prevent arthritis and the typical aches and pains that come with being a bit older. Some salmon oil can be beneficial too, but I tend to recommend that for most dogs regardless of age.
But yeah, diet is always important.
I tend to just go with the flow, if they start to lag on walks go for shorter, if they start putting on weight reduce the food or change (depending what you feed). Just be super aware and try to pick up on things quickly. Oh and of course make extra sure with your routine checks for any lumps or bumps as they tend to crop up with advanced age and need to be monitored carefully.
Meg
Supervisor

07-05-2015, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by Dorrit View Post
Can I ask what were the first signs of the CCD?

Remy has always been a bit daft but he has started staring into nothing and often doing a little head nod ( much like old people) . He will sometimes just stand and stare at a closed door too..
Here you are Dorrit though no two dogs are quite the same so the symptoms can vary from dog to dog also be worse some days than others..

Cognitive dysfunction syndrome is a condition related to the aging of a dog's brain, which ultimately leads to changes in awareness, deficits in learning and memory, and decreased responsiveness to stimuli. Although the initial symptoms of the disorder are mild, they gradually worsen over time, also known as “cognitive decline.” In fact, clinical signs of cognitive dysfunction syndrome are found in 50 percent of dogs over the age of 11, and by the age of 15, 68 percent of dogs display at least one sign.

Symptoms and Types

Disorientation/confusion
Anxiety/restlessness
Extreme irritability
Decreased desire to play
Excessive licking
Seeming disregard for previously learned training or house rules
Slow to learn new tasks
Inability to follow familiar routes
Lack of self-grooming
Fecal and urinary incontinence
Loss of appetite (anorexia)
Changes in sleep cycle (i.e, night waking, sleeping during the day)

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/...tion_syndrome#
Dorrit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-05-2015, 05:06 PM
Thanks Meg..
With the little one being brain damaged he was already showing some of those symptoms at a year old!
Now hes 10 or 11 and its much worse..
I regcognise the disorientation and confusion. He seems lost in our home sometimes although hes been here since we found him.

Hes not as playful and if I try to let him off lead he panicks when he sees other dogs ( the attack) and runs back toward the car or he gets busy with something and just wanders off (hes not deaf we checked)..

He always used to come for cuddles but he isnt so fond of that anymore although he does still follow me around..
He seems to trip over nothing ( no sight problems again we checked)
plus he has the moments when the lights are on but no one is home..vacant staring and sometimes loosing bladder control.

Im in the difficult postition that my old vet died last year and his practice has been taken over by one of those awful chains where you see a different vet every time and they roll you through on a conveyer belt system.
So Im searching nearby villages for a proper vet..
I think once I find one I will ask them for a proper check up and assesment too.
Meg
Supervisor

07-05-2015, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by Dorrit View Post
Thanks Meg..
With the little one being brain damaged he was already showing some of those symptoms at a year old!
Now hes 10 or 11 and its much worse..
I regcognise the disorientation and confusion. He seems lost in our home sometimes although hes been here since we found him.

Hes not as playful and if I try to let him off lead he panicks when he sees other dogs ( the attack) and runs back toward the car or he gets busy with something and just wanders off (hes not deaf we checked)..

He always used to come for cuddles but he isnt so fond of that anymore although he does still follow me around..
He seems to trip over nothing ( no sight problems again we checked)
plus he has the moments when the lights are on but no one is home..vacant staring and sometimes loosing bladder control.

Im in the difficult postition that my old vet died last year and his practice has been taken over by one of those awful chains where you see a different vet every time and they roll you through on a conveyer belt system.
So Im searching nearby villages for a proper vet..
I think once I find one I will ask them for a proper check up and assesment too.
Hi Dorrit, your poor little dog it is so sad for us when they start to fail isn't it.

There is medication that can help with CCD, it doesn't work for all dogs but it is worth mentioning Vivitonin to your vet.
Dorrit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-05-2015, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the tip Meg, I will mention it.