View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-04-2015, 11:50 PM
I always wonder why people feel the need to claim 'I don't treat them like kids, they're dogs' as if somehow we are unable to tell the difference. Of course they're dogs, but why is it so bad to spoil them, baby talk to them, or even consider them as 'surrogate' kids providing all their doggy needs are met? Yes I refer to myself as mum sometimes ( although admittedly I prefer being a best buddy or fun teacher etc ) and yes my mum is Nanny, and my sister auntie The dogs have heaps of attention lavished upon them from every member of my immediate family and are very much considered on the same level as the human members. Nothing wrong with any of that IMO.
Dorrit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-04-2015, 05:35 AM
I spoil my dogs , if by spoiling them you mean I take them to different walks that they like and I end up in 6 inches of mud.. That they have several comfy beds but are allowed to sleep on the chairs.
That I spend more than basic amounts on food, medical bills and treats.

I dont paint their nails dress them up or spray them with doggy scent.. Because my dogs are dogs and I respect that thier needs are different to those of my children.

BUT.... this in no way makes them less loved or cherished they each hold a special place in my heart and mind they are unique irreplaceable beings and I love them..
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2015, 11:43 AM
I didn't treat Cookie like a child, I wouldn't clicker train a child, I would rub a child's tummy with such force, or feed raw meat to a child, I wouldn't baby talk to a child (maybe a tiny baby, but not a toddler or child), I wouldn't allow a child to lick me, or play bite me and I most definitely wouldn't let a child sleep in my bed every single night.
Nope kids are kids, and dogs are dogs. Doesn't mean you can't love them both, take pride in their accomplishments and enjoy spending time with them.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-04-2015, 11:47 AM
I do find myself treating the grandchildren like puppies eg not rewarding unwanted behaviour with my attention, rewarding required behaviour with praise ,making them sit before I put their food down
manydogz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-05-2015, 06:14 PM
My dogs are like my children and I'm proud of it. If it bothers some people, and I'm sure it does, they don't have to associate with me. I won't miss them when they're gone.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4