View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2012, 08:44 AM
We offered Hannah (Tassle) the choice when our lab was pts at home. The vet happened to be a friends boyfriend as well so Hannah knew him and knew he was nice.
She was about 6 I think, I explained what would happen, she chose not to watch but wanted to come downstairs to see the body.
I think it is important that children see death as a part of life.
When a friend died she told his wife that 'everything has to have their turn to die' which actually comforted the wife and children a bit.

rune
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2012, 09:07 AM
With two dogs, I wasn`t there when they died unexpectedly. With one, (a rail accident) I had to have the man tell me the words `the dog is dead` before I could let him go. I needed to be told that. With the other, she died unexpectedly at the vets` and I needed to go and see her body. Again - I needed to `know` about the passing.
For me, I needed to experience it in order to grieve properly.
I feel it helps to see the life go - for me, it is a definite event. Somehow it isn`t `them` any more. Which I find a comfort.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-10-2012, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper

Just wanted to add to the already excellent posts, that you can also donate your dogs body to the local vet school if you want - that's what I have done in the past and will do in the future x
Admirable, but not something I could do,

Maybe if said dog suffered a breed condition and donating my dog may help , maybe , but not just generally, as there are enough stray dogs and dogs that are not wanted back by owners to supply this need.

Just my opinion, but I would find it to hard.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2012, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Admirable, but not something I could do,

Maybe if said dog suffered a breed condition and donating my dog may help , maybe , but not just generally, as there are enough stray dogs and dogs that are not wanted back by owners to supply this need.

Just my opinion, but I would find it to hard.
Oh absolutely agree it's not something everyone would want to do - just wanted to add it's an option and like you said especially useful to vet school pathology teaching if the dog died of a specific cause. Myself and my Dad are also donating our own bodies when we die
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-10-2012, 10:42 AM
I have had two dogs pts and two cats.

Thankfully we didn't suffer any bad experiences with any of them only the making of the dreaded decision.

Out of Max and Ollie I would say Ollie's was the more pleasant of the two experiences. Max we had to wait on the day we took him in the receptionist had let someone else in before us even though it was an extremely early appointment and supposed to be marked in the book. The vet was most apologetic and caring. Max passed quickly and peacefully and we were allowed to stay and let out of the back door when ready to leave so we didn't have to go through the waiting room.

Ollie was so different it was done at the vet school Potters Bar and his neurologist kindly offered to put him to sleep for us as he had made friends with her and her nurses and he suffered fear aggression so for him to go without wearing a muzzle was a nice thing for us as well as him.
We were put into a lovely room with Ollie then Nadia came and took him so they could put the catheter in his back leg which I found nicer than in the front leg like Max had.
He was in a room waiting on the floor on a blanket with one of the nurses he knew making a fuss of him and eating ham and sausages and bowl of water and we were then taken to him. He went very quickly and calmly and not all stressed which had always been our fear with Ollie.

We were left for as long as we wanted after Nadia had hugged us both said her goodbyes too and sobbed along with us.

Ollie was left for post mortem as all tests had been inconclusive and we all needed to know why he had become so ill. It answered our questions gave the vet school a paper to use if ever another dog arrives with similar symptoms to Ollie. It was a hard decision to make but I am glad I made it. It also gave me the opportunity to let the breed club know and the Bernergarde site who were also glad to receive the information for future refernece.

Max and the cats we knew the reasons we had to have them put to sleep.
Cats are buried and Max and Ollie were cremated organised by the relevant vets and share a large box with their toys and collars and leads. We couldn't bury them firstly our garden is too small and I couldn't bear the thought of leaving them behind. One day we will move when we are in our final house then we will find the right spot for them.
anonymousone
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-03-2013, 08:32 PM
I have never had to go through this so thank you for this post it has made me think of how i would go about things,
chrriss
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-12-2013, 10:10 PM
Every night I heard you cry, and I wish god would let you die.
You were old but my best friend how could I bring your life to an end.
You could hardly walk and going blind but death was the last thing on my mind.
I saw your birth and every day we'd walk the fields and I watch you play.
We had many wonderful years together but now you're not just 'under the weather'
So my friend as it breaks my heart, I tell the vet and we must part.
Please forgive me my sweet boy you brought me many years of joy.
In life this is the hardest thing I've ever done, ' the letting go of my faithful one'.

RIP Toby Dec 1999 - Sept 2013
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2013, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by chrriss View Post
We had many wonderful years together but now you're not just 'under the weather'
In life this is the hardest thing I've ever done, ' the letting go of my faithful one'.

That is beautiful..Run free Toby xx
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2013, 11:43 PM
Chrriss that brought tears to my eyes ...... beautiful. Run free Toby, run free.

I've had two dogs PTS and it is the final act of love that we can offer them to help them on their way. ((hugs)) to you.
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-12-2013, 07:18 AM
Originally Posted by chrriss View Post

What a Beautiful poem for a Very Special companion.
Sleep tight Toby.x
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >