View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2012, 08:14 AM

Having dogs pts, the things we don't want to talk about.

I have sort of thought about putting some kind of post on before about this and chickened out but have put bits on other threads. Wyrd's recent experience has brought the thought to a head. I really hope no one is upset by this, if you think you might be please stop reading now.

Recently I had little Coo pts, it came a month or so after Champa and I haven't really 'got over' either, I don't think we ever do. I lay in bed the other night and instead of sheep all the dogs I have had pts went round and round and I counted them, it came to 17 with 3 cats a couple of rabbits and Bertie the brain damaged rat (who even had the vet crying).

I thought it might help if I put down a few thoughts. First off, your vet is there to do what you want them to, you are going to pay them for it. If you say the dog will need sedating that is what they should do, they shouldn't argue it out at such a bad time for you. They should come out and do it if that is what you want (I always do). If they can't then try and be strong and argue it---I have done that twice as well. Sometimes they simply don't want the hassle of coming out.

They'll want you to to sign a consent form. You need to think about what you want done with the body, single cremation, just let the vet take it (my choice), or keep it and do a burial yourself.

Have loads of tissues handy around your person, you will need them.

We make sure we have pepperami sticks and pate, if the dog can still eat we feed while it is happening, if not they will often lick end of stick for pate. You need to think about getting the dog to lying down comfily on a blanket or towel. If you want the dog sedated the food can be used while the sedation is done. You need decent light so the vet can see what they are doing.

The vet will try and find a vein in the dogs leg, they usually put a band or similar around the leg to help, the injection is in a big syringe--is it greed liquid or purple?---I can't remember ----I see it through tears. I always want to tell them to stop at this point and really have to hang on to myself and know that it is right for the dog.

I have had one dog scream when the needle went in (the vet stopped and changed legs and that was fine), I have had one who screamed afterwards. One who took ages to die because her heart wasn't working and it took ages to get round. Several who have panted or had what appeared to be deep breaths after the vet has checked they are dead. All apparently 'normal' things to happen.

Afterwards we let the other dogs out to see the body, the vet should allow you time if you need it. One cat had become very special to my mum and we had a long goodbye.

The vet will have to carry the dog out, thats where the material you have put the dog on will help.

In the end you have to know that you have done your best for the dog and that the decision was the right one. I always feel guilty afterwards, I think it must be common. I go back over the dogs life and think I could have done differently and better. But we all do all we can given our different circumstances and I am sure our dogs know that.

Hoping this helps.

rune
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2012, 08:25 AM
I have had 3 dogs PTS, I lost one on the table.

I had one PTS at home, two at the vets.

I never take them home to bury them, nor do I have them indivdually cremated, nor do I take the ashes home.

I have had the "luxury" of being able to plan the day and time of the Euthanasia with two, one I had to do fairly quickly.

After organising the time and place I also organised payment BEFORE it occurred and signature of the form too.

My current vets have a special room which is almost like a sitting room where you can stay with your pet for as long as you like afterwards and a back door so that you can avoid the stares of the waiting room.

I do not show the body to any of my other dogs.

For one, I had some money to come via the insurance thus you if your dog is insured it is wise to take the form with you and leave it with them so that they can deal with it and you do not have to deal with it when you are grieving.

We all know it is going to happen, if we are lucky we get to plan for it, if we are not we don't.

I think being prepared makes it less stressful for all.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2012, 08:28 AM
There are always worse ways to die. The dog doesn`t know he`s dying. The dog knows he`s in pain or uncomfortable, or a bit whoozy. That`s what we are trying to alleviate with sedatives or treats.
I feel the way the dog lived is more important than the way he died. However careful our plans, stuff sometimes happens. And when it does, I prefer to think about what the dog gave me through their life - rather than beating myself up about their passing.
JMO
susie fischer
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-10-2012, 08:46 AM
I agree with Claire and Daisy. If you gave your dog the best that you could whilst he/she was in your care that is the most important thing.

We humans are very emotional and over analyse things. Dogs move on very quickly with whatever happens in their lives (which is why rescue dogs shed their baggage very quickly if we humans allow them to).

I cry buckets when one of mine goes but essentially it is how they lived that matters. Good memories are what we should retain of the joy you gave them and they gave you whilst they lived.

Having had dogs, cats, horses, rabbits etc etc all my life, I dread to think how many I have lost and therefore have never attempted to add them all up.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2012, 08:55 AM
Agree with all said----I didn't deliberately 'add them up' BTW----I just had so many memories to assimilate along with Coo, it happened.

I had a horrific experience with a goat once and, more recently with a pony who was cast in the field. They weren't the ones I remembered---until just now. Sometimes we block things.

I just posted because I thought it might help people who hadn't been through it before and might want some information about the process.

rune
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2012, 09:01 AM
I think it was a good idea Rune as some people may not have expereinced it. Also getting different perspectives means that people are reassured that they are allowed to have their own views on how best to organise and handle it.

I think we often carry enough guilt about having dogs PTS at all, we do not need any more about the how, where, when etc

There is no one "right" way for all. Everyone must do what they think is best for their animals and themselves.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2012, 09:03 AM
The worst deaths (for us) I find with dogs are the ones that are unexpected. The shock is terrible.
Yes, I agree someone who doesn`t know what to expect will find it helpful to know the procedure.
With one old girl (GSD foster) we made her last few months filled with joy. We took her on holiday, bought her cream teas, took her to the beach - she loved the beach. On her last day we gave her cream donuts and cuddles. That was a gentle death and I`m glad she went that way. So it can be a good way to go.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-10-2012, 09:05 AM
Had one done at home and it all went disasterously wrong, had to still take her to the vets "halfway through" the experience. When I had to have the two poms pts last year it was very dignified and peaceful, as with our old cat.
I've never brought bodies or ashes back I don't recall, we brought the old cat back to bury but that was for my for sheer sentiment really. I wouldn't again.
I wouldn't opt for a home euthanasia either, I'm not sure why but it just wasn't something that sat right with me.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

06-10-2012, 09:20 AM
The last dog I had put to sleep was Fingal a couple of months ago. He was (on the outside) just fine on the Saturday and on the Sunday he collapsed. A little investigation revealed a tumor that had ruptured his spleen and his abdomen was full of blood. Being with the vet whilst she discovered all this made the conversation / decision regarding the options an easy one. He was passing away in front of me and was suffering.

I held him on the table and he slipped away after just 1 of the 3 injections our vet opts to use. I left him with the vet that night becuase I wanted to check with Karen what we were doing with the body. The next day we brought him home and laid him on the kitchen floor for Skye and Breagh to sniff as we wanted them to know where he was because up to that point they were uneasy about him not being at home. They had a quick sniff but other than showing a bit of interest in the blood that had come from his nose, they weren't that bothered.

I buried him in the garden in a nice spot but because of the rocks under the ground it was harder going than I'd thought. I've now decided that when it's time for Skye (who would need a bigger hole) to join him I will pay the extra to get Skye cremated and I will lift a little of Fingal's turf for his ashes and reunite them that way.

As for the act of actually having them put to sleep - A fortnight ago my eldest daughter was in hospital for an operation and I went in with her whilst they put her under. Fingal was understandably a million miles from my mind at the time but watching Hannah slip away into a deep sleep suddenly took me back that day at the vets and I now have no doubt whatsoever that whilst the outcome was very different - Fingal experienced just that same sleepy feeling as he slipped peacefully away.

I have a little envelope with clippings of Fingal's 'Spaniel Ears' in that the vet did for me. I do miss him and I'd be fibbing if I said that I haven't had a little feel a few times since LOL
Duck
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-10-2012, 09:23 AM
we've had one at home and one at the vets, we had to have our first dog done at home and he had to be sedated and muzzled as he didnt like strangers so it was an awful experience for all of us, we kept him here and buried him. The second i had done at the vets, he was there all the time it was like a normal vet visit for him so he thought nothing different, this was probably one of the hardest things i have had to do as he was so young but i knew it was the right thing to do he went very piecefully and even the vet and vet nurse were upset as they had dealt with his case for over a year and asked how we were when my friend went in a few weeks later. i had a single cremation and brought his ashes home.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »