Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2012, 05:58 PM

Manuka Honey for dogs

Well, yesterday I sympathised with Moons Mum and now I have the very same problem with the Jimster

Took him to the vet today, and his pad was in the process of detaching.........he had the dead bits snipped away (such a good boy, not one flinch or whimper) and then he had a big blob of Manuka Honey applied to the sore bit, followed by the necessary bandaging. Has anyone else had this? I know that it is supposed to accelerate healing, and I really hope that it does because the vet said that it would be a very long haul before he was better

Poor little man, he had an AB injection plus a painkilling one...and was really not a happy chap when we came home:

but just now he went out for a wee, and natch it has been raining..........always does whenever he has a bandage on, so on went the drip sachet; he was much brighter but stood rather wistfully at the back gate wondering what had happened to his walks lately.

It appears that it will be a very long time before he goes out on a walk again which is rather depressing. I could cry actually.

for some reason, the second picture will not appear.....goodness only knows why
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2012, 06:02 PM
Manuka honey dressings can be bought over the net.

I always have a pot in my FA kit.

http://www.manukahoney.co.uk/categoryexternal.html
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Thank you SB, does it really speed up healing then? I do hope so
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2012, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Thank you SB, does it really speed up healing then? I do hope so

Honey has been used for hundreds of years to heal wounds I give my dogs it to eat regularly especially in the winter.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Its great for tummy upsets as well
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Brilliant stuff. Use it on Celts foot regularly.

rune
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Its great for tummy upsets as well
I knew about the human benefits, but never realised that it was now used for animals.

Originally Posted by rune View Post
Brilliant stuff. Use it on Celts foot regularly.

rune
Oh I do hope that it works, the prospect of a bandage and all the attendant worry for weeks is not a happy one.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

04-10-2012, 07:32 PM
Honey is a powerful natural antibiotic, and Manuka honey has a special non-peroxide antibacterial activity that normal honey doesn't. It has even been used to treat MRSA where antibiotics have failed - it's also great for burns

Although it is also great orally for local infections - I would not feed it on a regular basis as it will encourage the growth of candida.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2012, 07:37 PM
Oh poor little man suffering with his feet yet again He sure doesn't look too happy there Sally, bless his heart

Manuka honey (new zealand) is a well known anti biotic, I used it lots of times on Georgie's skin, but of course, that was infected most times when he'd been chewing it. Silver is a great healer too for this kind of thing and would keep it much drier if that's what you want. They do silver plasters for us humans now, don't know whether they've made advances in the animal world for those yet though. In my opinion, the manuka side of things is brilliant for infections, whereas the silver is more for the healing process is speeds it up. Homeopathic silver would be the colloidal silver, so maybe they do dressings with this on them?

I know it's been so ongoing for this poor little chap, and for you of course, and hopefully, one day you'll be able to get it under control completely I do hope so.

When Zena kept cutting pads, I still used to walk her by using a bit of gamgee for the padding effect, then I'd wrap that up with the vetwrap, just a couple of loosish layers, and then I'd tape all that up with surgical tape. On top of that I'd then put cling film over it (like we used to do with horse's legs lol!), but again, lightly, not tight, and finally, the good old duck tape (again, same as those horses). Obviously if she ran around it would all come flying off, but for a short road trip it did the job perfectly. I'm sure you've already been here though....

Give him a little kiss from me and Zena please, bless his heart, he's so miserable. Passes over magic bottle for benefit of owner xxxxx
tansox
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-10-2012, 07:41 PM
All of my dogs have a dollop of Manuka honey with live yoghurt every day. The love it!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >