Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ebradnam
New Member!
Female 

19-07-2010, 03:05 PM

New home wanted for loving dog, Dartford area

Hi,

I’m pregnant and unfortunately we are unable to keep my dog once the baby is here. He is so loving and so loyal, he will give anyone plenty of attention. Unfortunately he doesn’t get along with other dogs or animals, which is why we can’t risk keeping him with a new born.
We’ve had him for 6 years, he is aged 8 and has plenty of life in him. He loves cuddles and sleeping in the bed and will spend hours being stroked. He really is one of the family and I’m heartbroken that he has to go. Ideal home I would want him to go to would be someone with an average size garden, and who will walk him regular. No small children. If possible I would like to view his new home before. I can't bare for him to go to a rescue centre, as we originally got him from one and he was so distressed.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 03:09 PM
can i ask, has he been around children before? if so, how was he?

Dogs can react very differently to babies than small animlas.

For example, our dog, would quite happily catch a rabbit/rat etc( if she was fast enough)and will not accept any other animal in the house and isnt gret with other dogs, but with or baby due in 2 weeks, we know through her behaviour with other children that there are no issues with her.

It may mean putting in baby gates etc, but why not try him? he may well surprise you. Dogs often take to new members of the pack (ie babies) very well.

I cant imagine the heartache you must be going through, but maybe its worth a try with some very careful introductions and highly supervised contact it may work out brilliantly.

Alex
xx
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 03:09 PM
ebradnam
New Member!
Female 

19-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Unfortunately he's not good around children or babies, he barks and jumps up. From about the age of 5 or 6 upwards he seems to be fine, but a smaller child I just couldn't trust him with.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 03:28 PM
You could try training him out of this.

Every time he sits quietly reward him. It really is worth the effort if you get to keep your wonderful, loyal, loving dog

I think you can get baby dolls that make crying noises etc. Try him. He will probably surprise you.

Please please try with him as he may be brilliant and you may be giving away a wonderful dog that just needs the chance to prove himself.

Alex
xx

ETA link for crying doll on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SOFT-BODIED-LA...item1c13bfa3bc
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by ebradnam View Post
Unfortunately he's not good around children or babies, he barks and jumps up. From about the age of 5 or 6 upwards he seems to be fine, but a smaller child I just couldn't trust him with.
But if you knew he was like this why get pregnant?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Well, you have a year to retrain him, before the baby will be big enough to interact with him. There are some good books and articles about this. Why not read them before you decide.
This was my first dog and my first baby.

and this is my third son and second GSD

My boys gained so much from growing up with dogs - responsibility, empathy for a fellow creature, how to relate to animals, and also had the comfort and enjoyment of a constant friend and companion.
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 03:53 PM
I have a GSD who is fear aggressive with strangers. I was 16 weeks pregnant when we got him, obviously his aggression didn't show till later. He was just over 6 months old when the baby was born. He has been brilliant with him. Then I had a second baby Zak was 2 years old, he now was showing issues. I gave it lots of thought and decided I could put into place anything that needed to be ie gates to seperate etc. Samuel was born and we kept letting Zak sniff his worn clothes for a few days while I was still in hospital, after 2 days I came home to a huge fear aggressive dog who on first meeting preceeded to sit and stare at Samuel with pure love. He has never laid a tooth on them never showed aggression and he is very aggressive to strangers. The only damage he has done is stood on their feet

I am very proud of him dogs can be trained and it is very easy to put barriers in so they can get used to each new arrival safely. I now have 2 GSDs both are fab with my boys.

However at the end of the day you know your dog I just think its so sad he isn't going to get the chance to prove he can be ok with a baby xx
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
But if you knew he was like this why get pregnant?
good point
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-07-2010, 03:57 PM
When I had both my kids I had dogs with issues and to be honest with my first child my dog took a distinct dislike to him but it's perfectly possible to train your dog and manage the situation to ensure your child is never at risk. You just have to think it through and plan how it will work for you.

Also if he's not good with other dogs or children he wont be the easiest dog to rehome either.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >