Female 

31-08-2008, 08:37 PM

Just wondered

What is pet quality breeding ?
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2008, 12:19 PM
I think its a term used for people who are not puppy farmers but breed a litter to sell as pets when the dam & often the sire as well have no merits themselves to contribute to the breed. They are not shown in any form ie breed, obedience agility etc nor do they work The breeder has selected the dog often not on his compatability with the bitches lines not checked if there are reasons not to mate these lines together but chosen the dog because he lives close or belongs to a friend. I'm sure others will be along to give you further information but hope this helps a little.
Bilclarie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Most if not all puppys from a good litter are show quality
in my last litter of 8, I had a male puppy born with a small white patch under his neck, now as the skin was white under it, it wasn't going to go away, his confirmation was fine he had all his teeth placed correctly but becasue of this white patch he was sold as a pet quality puppy, he's grown up a stunner and if the patch wasn't there he could be a show dog easy, but it is so he can't as it's not acceptable to have white patches on Dobe's, a lot of Dobes are born with this, I brought the puppy on with the rest of the litter a lot of breeders would have left it to one side when it was born!!!!!!!!! so the couple who bought him got a stunning dog with an excellent charactor with all his paper work and a tiny white patch, and paid less than those who bought one of the other puppys in the litter.

Mo and the Gang
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2008, 11:48 AM
A pet quality puppy is different in my opinion from a pet quality breeder. Most breeders sell all their puppies the same as it is virtually impossible to guarantee that a puppy will or willnot be show quality the only thing one can say is show potential. However the breeder is breeding for the best quality puppy. In one of Hanna's litters , she only had 4 puppies & nne were show quality as they were all long coats. Have to say I believe they cost no less because of this. In her next litter, to similar lines there was only 1 longcoat out of 6 pups & hopefully a couple will be shown but both litters were bred in the same way by the same person & neither were pet quality breeding.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 05:04 PM
thanks for your replys gsd sue and bilclarie...I do realise that certain faults can make the puppies pet quality but heard some one say, good quality pet breeding and was confused by that...
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Guess they meant a dog who wasn't show quality but nevertheless the owners had had health checks & reared the puppies well,with good foods & keping them clean etc.
Thus puppies would hopefully make good pets.
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 06:43 PM
LOL, you can tell i don't know know anything about breeding - i would have said that 'pet breeding' was maybe 2 mates with different dogs who wanted a pup and decided to mate their dogs and then sold the other pups as pets.

Ah well - not for me anyway, lol!! Breeding that is