View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Good luck with it all anyway A, and if anyone's going to sort it, you will with all your experience. I just hope it works out well, so I'll have everything x'd that it does, he sounds a delight! Poor you, though, I bet you don't get a moment's peace at the moment. Bless old Biff for keeping well out of it all! Hope it ends up well I really do.xxxx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
I must admit that Max and Murphy were a bit like this when we got Murphy. The size difference was huge, and Max would floor Murphy without thinking about it/realising...

He even laid on him once and the noise Murphy made was horrible!

Do Flatties play like Boxers? Feet and mouth, all jumpy and bouncy?

We taught Max a "gentle" command and also "steady".... he got lots of praise when he was good around Murphy and he did get excluded if he couldn't behave.
The way I saw it was, although it was horrible excluding him, he had to learn to behave around puppies and smaller dogs.

You can make sure you give Cosmo special one-on-ones when Lucas is sleeping (does he sleep??)
Thanks Isochick.
Yes sounds like they play in a similar way, all mouths and feet and tigger like behaviour. Cosmo does roly polys and has tried to do it on the pup a few times now.
I'm not excluding him for being a mad bouncy mutt...just for some peace really so the pup gets some time. The pup doesn't sleep very much....
The pup has taken to snapping at Cosmo and barking at him if he gets too close at points so I am concerned that it could have an effect on his relationship with other dogs, especially because of what lies ahead of him in the future. Cosmo could be teaching him all the wrong things.
Throw an 8 year old child into the mix who loves his dog but has a thing about small pups and life gets a bit mad.

The thing is, if it isn't going to work for us, now we have a young dog instead of 2 older ones, it is best for all concerned we deicde sooner rather than later. I admit it would feel different if this was our own pup, but to exclude our 'pup' because of one that doesn't belong to us seems wrong.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Good luck with it all anyway A, and if anyone's going to sort it, you will with all your experience. I just hope it works out well, so I'll have everything x'd that it does, he sounds a delight! Poor you, though, I bet you don't get a moment's peace at the moment. Bless old Biff for keeping well out of it all! Hope it ends up well I really do.xxxx
thanks H.
Thing is, my loyalty is very much in the Cosmo camp, I feel sorry for my big lump as he is trying his best.
When we first started this Biff and Mo were used to not being in the same room as us all the time because we'd had my son and his toddler friends came round etc, so they were happy to have a snooze in another room at points, so getting one on one with a pup was fine.
Cosmo has never been excluded in that way, where we are, he is, unless we go out or are in bed (he slpees downstairs). I did think he'd head off for some peace and quiet...but nope, no matter how tired he is he wants to be there helping...
I don't really know what the best thing to do is, I'm at a loss, not helped by my tired fog of a brain. Life can't carry on like this though as it isn't fair on Lucas, Cosmo but particularly my son.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 10:58 AM
I agree it would be completely different if Lucas were your own pup, and then I think you would feel more inclined to exclude Cosmo when he gets too OTT if that were the case. As it is, and there is no aggression involved, I can see the dilemma you are facing. As you say, you must also think how this situation may affect Lucas' future working life. I really do feel for you Ailsa. I would give it a while longer to see whether they can work things out, and also have a chat with the Guide Dog trainers and see what their take on the situation is.

Thinking of you.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 11:00 AM
No, it needs some deep thought doesn't it A, which I'm sure you will be giving it, hence the fogged up brain. You are right, you son, Cosmo and of course dear old Biff, do come first. If Lucas does have to return, it's not the end of the World, there will be another pup at another time, maybe when the time is better, Cosmo might have quietened down a bit which would help the situation wouldn't it. You've already done wonders in the past with all of these pups, they've all gone on and passed, probably with colours, with the effort you've put in with all of them, but you can't run yourself ragged in the process if life's getting too difficult to do it just at THIS MOMENT IN TIME can you? Spreading yourself between all of them could result in half measures for all of them and that's just not fair on any of them is it A. Don't know what to suggest quite honestly, if you think time will sort it, then give it more if you think that's the answer, but you're not committed to take this on if you really are finding it a bit too much, there will be another time I'm sure of that. All the best, it can't be easy I can see that.xxxxx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 11:02 AM
They've said it should settle but if it hasn't by this time next week then they would be concerned. So would I!!!!!

I think you're right and I would be more willing ot exclude Cosmo if the pup was our own. I feel bad saying that though...Lucas is adorable! I am worried about what he will think to other dogs though, he's getting lfoored by one and the cold shoulde form another here. No happy medium.

As a happier aside, Cosmo's breeder is in Derbyshire but has no liver in her lines. Could it be a Torwood dog?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
No, it needs some deep thought doesn't it A, which I'm sure you will be giving it, hence the fogged up brain. You are right, you son, Cosmo and of course dear old Biff, do come first. If Lucas does have to return, it's not the end of the World, there will be another pup at another time, maybe when the time is better, Cosmo might have quietened down a bit which would help the situation wouldn't it. You've already done wonders in the past with all of these pups, they've all gone on and passed, probably with colours, with the effort you've put in with all of them, but you can't run yourself ragged in the process if life's getting too difficult to do it just at THIS MOMENT IN TIME can you? Spreading yourself between all of them could result in half measures for all of them and that's just not fair on any of them is it A. Don't know what to suggest quite honestly, if you think time will sort it, then give it more if you think that's the answer, but you're not committed to take this on if you really are finding it a bit too much, there will be another time I'm sure of that. All the best, it can't be easy I can see that.xxxxx
Thanks H. I think that's it, this could be thr wrong time. WE've had young pups and 10 and a hlaf month pups together a few times now, but it has never, ever been like this. It is exceptionally hard work and I am aware that if it doesn't settle soon, I am going to run into problems getting to work when I go back in a week or so. It's only a couple of mornings a week, but my mum often has to take my son to school then (when OH is in work) and she wouldn't be able to deal with this as well.....
I am concerned about the half measures thing. My son is the priority and I really haven't seen much of him.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Well, I think from what you say the guide dog people have said, I would give it one more week.

If things are no better, I would have to say that its not in anyone's interest for you to keep puppy walking lucas.

I know that sounds really hard and its easy for me to sit here and give out advice - I'd be as stressed as you if I was really in your position.

Good luck.

Just one other thought - is it possible to get your son involved in keeping Cosmo entertained in the same room while you give the pup some time...you could then swap over. (but pretty sure that would be something you've already tried).
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 09:06 PM
Thanks Hali. my son has been great and has been playing lots with Cosmo in the garden and trying to sneak plays witht he puppy!!!
Things have settled a bit tinight and they had their first really good play, where lucas has relaxed. He was over Cosmo's head for most of it, with Cosmo showing all his bits!

I'm exhausted and therefore incapabale of making a decision...but will do in the next few days.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 09:16 PM
Only just seen this A, hope things continue to be settled, wishing you a good nights sleep xxx
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >