Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 05:21 PM

Scary Cosmo moment

Took the dogs to a river today...Cosmo of course went in!
He had his harness on though...BIG mistake.
He got stuck under a tree at the side. On a fallen branch. He couldn't get himself free and was out of his depth. He was frightened bless and so was I.

I have a most wonderful OH who waded straight in to free him...complete with mobile inpocket and car key. He was up past his waist (and he is over 6 foot.)

Bless Cosmo he was scared...but totally fine once out...and of course he wanted to go staright back in again!
Poor oH was squidgey for the rest of the day, he was sopping wet. Car key is fine but the jury is still out on his mobile. OH was bought a big yummy cake by way of a thank you from the rest of the family.

I was soooooooo scared.. you just never know the moment.
I will not let him swim in a harness again...but to be honest, it could just have easily been his collar. I am now wondering if I should look into those collars that pop off under pressure.....scary day.
Cosmo is fine though...although he was somewhat narked that his lead went back on and the water was off limits for the rest of the walk!!!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Oh goodness, that must have been very frightening, glad it all turned out ok. I always use a side relase collar as they are easier to remove than a buckle, which has to be pulled tight to release.
Becky
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Oh goodness, that must have been very frightening, glad it all turned out ok. I always use a side relase collar as they are easier to remove than a buckle, which has to be pulled tight to release.
Becky
Yes they are the collars we use, but a friend was telling me not long ago about a collar that pops open if any pressure is applied to it...I did worry that it wold pop open if the dog pulled though. I will have to ask her more about it as she has had her dog in one for a while now.

It was very frightening and could have ended up so differently had OH not just jumped to his rescue. He is a star
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Well give him a squishy hug from me for saving Cosmo lol!
Becky
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 05:34 PM
I will do Becky. He is dry now bless him and is out getting his Chinese...special tea
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Well now he is dry give him a hug from me oh and OH.
What a fright, I would have been beside myself. Makes you think and I am glad Mo doesn't like the water
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 05:43 PM
IT was quite shallow as well (I will get my act together and download the pre fright photos...) it just seemd to have a shelf near the edge (and in the middle) where it went suddenly deeper. It could easily have hooked onto his collar though.
Hoenstly...you wouldn't believe it could happen where we were..I had done a quick risk assessment before I had let him offlead in the first place

Thanks for the hugs
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 05:49 PM
Scary stuff. Rivers and dogs as a combination scare me a lot quite frankly...

When mine swims, the collar comes off. Back on as soon as we move away from the water.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 05:49 PM
sending Cosmo and you some Fudge coated hugs!
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 05:51 PM
Omg, that must have been frightening!! Thankfully no harm done, well the mobile maybe!

Harvey went off to retrieve a ball in the sea the other day, and the ball was being carried out further and I went into a blind panic - fortunately on command - he left the ball and came back to dry land x
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >