Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
My friend had a healthy dog and had an annual insurance policy (for about £2000 per year) it wasn't lifetime. He was paying about a tenner a month.
Sadly, his dog at 6 developed a brain disease...totally random, not only did it eat the entire £2000 it added that again to the bill and sadly he lost him anyway (despite doing everything he could for him)

How sad for your friend

Had I put away the £20 a month I pay on insurance (per dog or so) over Biff's life, I would still be out of pocket on what he has cost me at the vet.

Insurance is so very important as you really do not know the moment your dog could become ill/be injured and no one wants to be in the position of not giving their dog treatment because they can't afford it.
I do have insurance - i was just thinking how expensive it must be for people who have multiple dogs

I am not going to say anymore on this after this,but suffice to say I know more people that have argued with siblings bitterly after the death of parents than have sought solace with/in each other.
You are quite right it can go both ways of course
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 07:44 PM
sorry duplicated post - totally mucked that up didn't i ? still a novice in this regard !
Merz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Always only had one dog at a time-they have all been rescue dogs and all had their own problems. My girl Hatti is definitely one that needs her home and me to herself. She has lots of doggy friends that we see and visit regularly so she is definitely not missing out on doggy company.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 09:13 PM
I found 2-3 a big jump....apparenly 5-6 is a big one as well....but I haven't got thier yet.

I can always see myself with 3-4....I would prefer not to have 5....but as I have I am quite happy with them.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 09:19 PM
I originally went from one dog to two when I was a teenager. We had a black and white Springer already but she was really my Mam's dog and after about 10 years of nagging, I finally convinced my parents to let me have a dog of my own when I was 17. I think they finally realised it wasn't a "phase"!

Then when Bonnie passed, my parents decided to get another dog for themselves and we had 2 dogs again for a long time, until I decided to rock the boat by buying Isla. I knew both of our current dogs were getting on in years and I really can't bare to be without a dog. This is the main reason I'll always have more than one......

Both our boys passed in 2007 and Isla has been our only dog for nearly 2 years. I can see why people like to only have one dog - the bond you have is totally different, they depend on you for everything. But for me having multiple dogs has a far greater appeal, you lose a little of the bond you have with the single dog, but the difference you see in that dog when it has canine company is soooo worth it.

We'll be going from 1 dog to 3 in a couple of months (if all goes to plan!) and I am a little apprehensive as it's been a long time, but I know once Isla has got used to the idea she'll never look back. As long as she's always first in the queue for any grub that is!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I originally went from one dog to two when I was a teenager. We had a black and white Springer already but she was really my Mam's dog and after about 10 years of nagging, I finally convinced my parents to let me have a dog of my own when I was 17. I think they finally realised it wasn't a "phase"!

Then when Bonnie passed, my parents decided to get another dog for themselves and we had 2 dogs again for a long time, until I decided to rock the boat by buying Isla. I knew both of our current dogs were getting on in years and I really can't bare to be without a dog. This is the main reason I'll always have more than one......

Both our boys passed in 2007 and Isla has been our only dog for nearly 2 years. I can see why people like to only have one dog - the bond you have is totally different, they depend on you for everything. But for me having multiple dogs has a far greater appeal, you lose a little of the bond you have with the single dog, but the difference you see in that dog when it has canine company is soooo worth it.

We'll be going from 1 dog to 3 in a couple of months (if all goes to plan!) and I am a little apprehensive as it's been a long time, but I know once Isla has got used to the idea she'll never look back. As long as she's always first in the queue for any grub that is!

Its interesting to hear you say that. My bond with Tassle is stronger than I could ever have imagined.....much stronger than it was with my first dog. I also have a very strong bond with Siren....not quite the same as Tass but still stronger than the one I have with the other 3.
Don;t get me wrong - I adore all my guys - but Siren and Tassle in particluar are extra special.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 09:29 PM
I got sadie and she sealed my love for the gsd i wanted another for company for sadie and for pure love of the breed, so then came yoda.
My plan was to add a third dog next year but some of you will know that yoda only has a few months left to live(hes not even 2) so we havnt had a great deal of time as a 2 dog household, i dont think i will be adding another dog for a long time. I think having 2 dogs is great but also there is the major downside(from my circumstances anyway) that the 2 dogs are extremely attached to one another so there is the issue of sadie being left with no canine companion that she has been used to.
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2009, 10:07 PM
ive actually never owed a dog where he/she has been the only one. My first dog arrived unexpectedly when i was a student (found abandoned ijn a cardboard box on campus of university), by which time my house mate already had a 10 year old bichon that lived in the same house.

Karli arrived just 7 months later, and we all went to live at a friends labrador kennels for about 6 months. Eventually i ended up with 4 of my own and then someone moved in with me and we had 7 dogs, at one stage we were up to 11 dogs (though that included puppies).

I now have 4 dogs that live with me, and 1 i co own who lives iwth his agility trainer I find 4 is the most i can happily walk and control at once and dont really want any more than that, i can't actually conceive just having one dog though!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 10:17 PM
My friend had a healthy dog and had an annual insurance policy (for about £2000 per year) it wasn't lifetime. He was paying about a tenner a month.
Sadly, his dog at 6 developed a brain disease...totally random, not only did it eat the entire £2000 it added that again to the bill and sadly he lost him anyway (despite doing everything he could for him)

Had I put away the £20 a month I pay on insurance (per dog or so) over Biff's life, I would still be out of pocket on what he has cost me at the vet.

Insurance is so very important as you really do not know the moment your dog could become ill/be injured and no one wants to be in the position of not giving their dog treatment because they can't afford it.
I am not saying it isn't, but there are alternatives. Setting up a separate bank account for vet expenses is one of them. What people choose to do is their own prerogative

Obviously you have to weigh up the costs and benefits and choose an option that is most suitable for your situation, taking into account your financial situation, how many dogs you own, etc. For example, I think that with multiple dogs insurance is almost definately the most wise option.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I am not saying it isn't, but there are alternatives. Setting up a separate bank account for vet expenses is one of them. What people choose to do is their own prerogative

Obviously you have to weigh up the costs and benefits and choose an option that is most suitable for your situation, taking into account your financial situation, how many dogs you own, etc. For example, I think that with multiple dogs insurance is almost definately the most wise option.
Yes, totally agree, it is down to personal choice. I don't think having more than one dog makes insurance more of a necessity though. If you have one dog vets bills can still be crippling surely?
The friend I mentioned had one dog...and has had to down grade his wedding somewhat As well as losing his dog.
More people claim on pet insurance than on car insurance.
To be honest I am almost starting to think it should be a requirement of dog ownership....what happens if your dog causes an accident? Damages someone or something?
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >