View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 04:52 PM
I wanted a second dog, but my OH wasn't too keen. That's why we decided to foster. We get to have another dog, but we can stop anytime we want to. Plus it doesn't cost us anything to have the second one.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 04:57 PM
One - because then I can rescue the dog that doesn't necessarily get on with other dogs and I can devote my time to making life special for one that needed extra help

Sometimes I think two would be nice, but then I remind myself of how I am changing the world for one dog - and that suffices.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 05:04 PM
4 always wanted 2 because we worked and they would be company for each other whole we were out. the others just happened (see other thread) i think the biggest Jump is from one to Two, after that its just logistics.

I would never have a single dog again, they get so much pleasure out of each others company as well as ours, i notice a massive difference in my mums now, she just has the one GSD after having two and they find her such hard work because she wasnts attention of them all the time, whereas the last time they had a pup they had an older dog to show the pup the way
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 05:07 PM
Now I'm confused.

I only want one really but I do love to see his friends LuLu and Rupert together.

I'm the same with children. I only want one, but there is something lovely about siblings.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Id quite like just two, but you kinda end up with tons if you are doing dog sports.

Saying that me & mav had a day of just us today & it was a relaxing pleasure!!!!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Now I'm confused.

I only want one really but I do love to see his friends LuLu and Rupert together.

I'm the same with children. I only want one, but there is something lovely about siblings.

I have pondered this having only one child and 3 dogs!
I think it's different as we are not dogs...so it's nice for dogs to have other doggy company...a child has other human company all the time. My son has friends round lots and he goes out to other peoples houses...he loves the company of other kids, but also loves his own company. He hates the thought of a sibling (unless we are being very boring that is) as all he sees is his friends arguing with theirs and little brothers and sisters breaking toys etc.

I do think you can't compare it to kids though as you don't go out of the house and leave your child on it's own....but you do a dog...you don't speak a different language to your child...you don't go away on holiday and leave a child in a kennel...you don't feed your child on the floor or put it on a harness to take it for a walk....

Kids/dogs...totally different in every way so numbers of each can't be compared really.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-06-2009, 05:30 PM
I have 5 but have had just the one in the past, although not from choice really. We always had dogs in two's but when one died the remaining dog at the time was quite happy being an only dog so that's how it stayed. He came to work with me every day and seemed to really enjoy his time alone. When he died, we got Syd and added Rio about 11 months later, then Frankie, then Diesel and lastly Milan. 5 are more work than 2 and I sometimes think I need my head tested but mostly they're great and well worth what extra effort and expense they involve. Although it doesn't have anything to do with the number of arms I have, nor do I think they take up much more space. They sleep in the utility room and they did that when there was just the one, they'd still do that if I added 3 more, not that I have any plans to add to the mob.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 05:30 PM
I find dogs like the company of their own kind. As to how many - I suppose it depends on how much time you have. I`m lucky in that I`ve been self-employed and able to choose my hours.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 05:34 PM
I only wanted the one!! But as you heard from the other thread i was destined to have more!!
BUT I know I am very lucky, I have a real mixed bunch but they get on so well and are pretty easy dogs!

I certainly wont be getting a fourth tho!! not enough room on the sofa for a start !
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 05:34 PM
I have one at the moment but it could very possibly be two soon - we are going to see some dogs on saturday, i am excited but also a little worried (i have butterflies already) about having two !

I have two kids four years apart and they fight all the time but if anyone does anything to either one, the other one will defend them to the hilt.Sibling rivalry is natural. My OH was an only child, i have two brothers. I always think of when we are no longer around - they will have each other.

How do all you chaps with 3 4 or more afford the insurance, it must cost you a fortune !!
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »