Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 04:19 PM

1 dog or 2? 3? 4? etc

Those of you that only have one dog, what made you decide to stick to just the one? Will you have more at any point?

Those that have 2 or more, what made you decide to do it? Do you find it easier on the dogs to have company or does it not matter either way?

Is it odd to have just the one and keep it that way?

At what stage should a person consider getting another dog?

This is not about me btw (I think one is enough for now!!;o)
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 04:26 PM
I am going from one dog to three (and I was a hardcore "we will only ever have one dog!" person) very soon, so perhaps not the best person to ask!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I am going from one dog to three (and I was a hardcore "we will only ever have one dog!" person) very soon, so perhaps not the best person to ask!
Two new at once? Details please.

Why were you so hardcore on one only?
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 04:34 PM
I always knew I wanted 2 (at least!!), as I always wanted Max to have a 'friend' to play with!

OH was a staunch 1-dog-only, until a) I pestered him to death and b) he saw lots of ickle, wickle, cutsie Boxer puppies....

Mind you, I would happily have 3 or 4 dogs, however, OH says (currently) that 2 are enough....
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 04:35 PM
erm four border collies here! plus a "family spaniel"!

I like to watch them playing and interacting, I like walking them and training them and we all have alot of fun
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 04:37 PM
I still live at home (student; live too close to my Uni to be considered for the halls!); sister is getting a Yorkie puppy next week and I am getting a Slovakian Rough Haired Pointer pup late next month. The Slovak was long planned in advance; had my name down as soon as the bitch was confirmed to be preggers. The Yorkie...well, let's just say if my sister wants something, she gets it. Irrespective of the fact that the dog may be around for the next 15 years or so.

I can't say that I am particularly thrilled about having two pups that are so close in age, but I am sure it will work out.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Hi,

I've had 1 alone before now, have had a maximum of 7 whilst growing up, have 3 now, will soon have another and a pup later in the year making 5. That's enough for me.

i think dogs need other dogs for company. Myself and my Son are not enough for them and there are certain things only a dog can teach another dog.

However I think a maximum of 4 or 5 is a nice number. Plenty of fun for the dogs from the oth4r dogs and plenty of training for me to get into with them.

I spend much of my time at home and enjoy their company.

I always start off insisting I'll have onlty 1, then quickly add qnother. Once you have 2 though, another 2 or 3 doesn't make all that much difference other than the amount of poop that needs scooping!

Laura xx
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 04:45 PM
I had an only dog for a few years, I also had just two dogs for a number of years before adding number 3 and then 4. I am actually happiest with two dogs.

Most dogs seem to enjoy another canine for company, and I would hate to be in the position of losing my dog and not having another one to care for/walk/train etc. Therefore I think in the future, two will be my maximum. Obviously my hubby will also always have a number of working dogs, so I will be able to add to my pack (for a walk etc) whenever I want.

I don't agree that 3 and 4 are no more work than 2 though.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Well when I was young(er!) we had one dog at a time (as a child that is!)
When we got Biffters,(within 2 weeks of moving in together) we also quickly inherited my OH's/FILs old BC. When we lost him a year later, we knew we wanted another and Morris came home soon after. So we have always(since being together in a home) had at least two dogs. The Guide Dog pups brought our numbers to 4 at points.That was hard work,because they all had different requirements and needs.

I like having two...we have three now but as callous as it sounds, Tango is an early replacement for Biff. We knew we wouldn't like just having one dog and we knew Cosmo wouldn't like it either so decided we would take on the right dog at the right time. She is!
The official line is that when we lose Biff (hopefully not for a while yet, but some days I do wonder ) we will be a two dog household...but I think a small dog would fit in well...OH is liking the Basset Hounds we keep meeting of late but says that 2 is enough...we shall see.....
We may also puppy walk for another assistance dog charity at some point again....who knows.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 04:48 PM
I also agree with Kirsty...I think there is a big difference between having two and having three or four dogs in terms of commitment and work (and space when you have bigger dogs)...I do think that once you have more dogs than you have arms, life becomes more complex and at points difficult.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »