View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Choccylab
New Member!
Female 

03-06-2009, 08:56 AM
We took our choc lab away for 2 weeks in a tent when he was 6 months old and he absolutely loved it!! He took to the routine like a duck to water!! I think half the battle is finding the right site, where you have enough space to have your dog tethered on a nice long leash, and also one where the owners are very dog friendly.
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2009, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by Vodkalass View Post
Do any of you take your dogs camping in a caravan?
Any tips? I am hoping to get away in my new (well quite old actually) caravan. I will be taking all three dogs two labs and a medium sized mongrel. Could be heaven or hell.
Hi, we go camping often with our dogs have been in tent and caravan, we go to sleningford water mill, North Stainley , virtually opposite light water valley in ripon, it gets quite busy in summer time but there is a lovely river where the dogs can play in when its not high water.
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 07:14 PM
We go to quite a few agility shows in my little caravan. I take their crates that I put in the awning. I take the orange netting fence that you see at the side of the road at roadworks and stakes to make a garden area for the dogs to play in. They all really enjoy it, they start getting excited when they start seeing me take things out to the caravan. We have 2 shows booked for the last 2 weekends in June, a week long show in August and another weekend show in September.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 02:15 PM
I sometimes take my caravan to shows, the dogs absolutely love it, poor Kia was so keen to get into the caravan when we arrived at one show she fell off of the step and ended up lame!

I usually take some unfamiliar toys, the novelty factor keeps them amused, something to chew on other than my interior, also a spill proof dog bowl for their water, great for when you accidently trip over the thing!

I take a very large crate for the awning which they use sometimes in the day (they are loose when in the caravan and sleep in bed with me at night). If your dog is the sort that would jump/fall out of the windows and you have to keep them closed take fans to keep the interior cool, I use my crate fans at shows as we don't have electric hookup, they work surprisingly well.

You can buy panels to make a dog proof run the best ones have lightweight metal frames which also run along the bottom so they can't push out underneath, you can even get a gate.

I hope you have a great time, take some pictures we would love to see them.
Vodkalass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-06-2009, 12:44 PM
Great idea about the netting. I really dont want to tie them up they would hate it. But i suspect my greedy lab would be in every tent /caravan pleading her starvation case if we cant contain them some how. We are hopefully getting an awning today so that will give us some space too
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by Dale's mum View Post
One word of warning about the half door. Dale was so pleased to see me walking back from the loos he jumped over it and came to meet me. Until then I'd never thought of a dog doing that.

LOL.. my NI bitch was over the half door and out of a side window the first 5 mins of being in a caravan. She`s done it on more than one occasion if left in the van while i`m attending to something outside. Everything has to be shut and locked up tight to prevent mine getting out. We now have a 2 berth Bailey Pageant... we make up the double bed... one NI sleeps in the gap beside the centre cabinet.. the other sleeps same place on the other side... me and OH top and tail so giving the dogs more space either end... the little dog sleeps where ever she can fit in on the bed.

We use a boat mooring hook to attach their long lines to outside the caravan... as they break the normal spiral dog stakes... i usually make sure it`s close enough so i can take the ends of the longline into the awning... so i can clip them on before getting to the outside... as it`s a nightmare trying to get excitable dogs on line once they can see outside.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by janie View Post
LOL.. my NI bitch was over the half door and out of a side window the first 5 mins of being in a caravan. She`s done it on more than one occasion if left in the van while i`m attending to something outside. Everything has to be shut and locked up tight to prevent mine getting out. We now have a 2 berth Bailey Pageant... we make up the double bed... one NI sleeps in the gap beside the centre cabinet.. the other sleeps same place on the other side... me and OH top and tail so giving the dogs more space either end... the little dog sleeps where ever she can fit in on the bed.

We use a boat mooring hook to attach their long lines to outside the caravan... as they break the normal spiral dog stakes... i usually make sure it`s close enough so i can take the ends of the longline into the awning... so i can clip them on before getting to the outside... as it`s a nightmare trying to get excitable dogs on line once they can see outside.
If you have more than one dog how do you stop them tying each other up?
Last year Chip had a zoomie and Dale joined in. They tangled so tightly very quickly that I was beginning to think they'd get really hurt. It was that metal tie out cable so I couldn't even cut it.
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by Dale's mum View Post
If you have more than one dog how do you stop them tying each other up?
Last year Chip had a zoomie and Dale joined in. They tangled so tightly very quickly that I was beginning to think they'd get really hurt. It was that metal tie out cable so I couldn't even cut it.
we don`t leave them unattended.. as soon as they start to tangle we each grab a dog and do some kind of fancy line dance to untangle them.. we too use metal cable, we found it tangles less tightly than the webbing long lines.

The little dog has a stake of her own away from the other two so she doesn`t end up in a maypole kind of knot with them.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by janie View Post
we don`t leave them unattended.. as soon as they start to tangle we each grab a dog and do some kind of fancy line dance to untangle them.. we too use metal cable, we found it tangles less tightly than the webbing long lines.

The little dog has a stake of her own away from the other two so she doesn`t end up in a maypole kind of knot with them.
We don't leave them either. The pair managed to tangle my chair too
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2