Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 01:12 PM

East of England

Just been looking at the schedule for the EofE (bout half hour from me) thinking about Yearling Dog and Special B4eginner stakes.

Unfortunately he missed an open show this weekend just gone due to kennel cough picked up from training

Hopefully he should be clear for Melton Mowbrays Open at the end of the month.

Closing date for EofE is next week.

Should I just go for it?? Its not till the 17th July and I could take him to Peterborough Show on the 13th as extra practice?

I havent found many yearling classes thus far bar EofE

Honest opinions most welcome!! There is a cc up for grabs but I have no idea what that entails can only imagine there will be some serious showing peopel there!
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Yes go for it, also consider entering one of the Crufts qualifying classes not sure what those would be for your breed but I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to advise!
When CCs are on offer they are for the best dog and best bitch usually, a lot of people would be after Crufts qualification as an initial target and some are there just for the day out and the chance to chat with other owners. Good luck!
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 01:56 PM
Thanks Deccy!

What the hell nothing ventured and all that!!

I shall ask my boss if i can have the time off!
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Yep go for it!!!

Not sure if Yearling in your breed is a qualifier?

In the Special Beginner Stakes - is that a breed class - am thinking it isn't but not sure? If not you could have ALOT of dogs to go against but if you don't think your boy will get tired or bored go for it!

Relax and have fun

I know some people who love doing the stakes classes and those who stick to breed only (that's me LOL)
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 02:21 PM
I wouldnt know where to look to find out

You are right it is any variety for the Special beginners stakes. on the thursday it is confined to Working and pastoral varietys.

Tun sees showing (and training and agility) as a social event, so boredom doesnt come into it with all those dogs to look at and the odd sneaky butt sniff to be had

Not sure about this benching lark though, that might test his powers of self control somewhat! I shall have to engage soem helpers for the E of E!!
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 02:25 PM
Not sure about this benching lark though, that might test his powers of self control somewhat! I shall have to engage soem helpers for the E of E!!
Try a bench crate or bench guard, makes life sooooo much easier! Somewhere to plonk things down on, as well!
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
I wouldnt know where to look to find out

You are right it is any variety for the Special beginners stakes. on the thursday it is confined to Working and pastoral varietys.

Tun sees showing (and training and agility) as a social event, so boredom doesnt come into it with all those dogs to look at and the odd sneaky butt sniff to be had

http://dobermannbreedcouncil.co.uk/CRUFTS2008.html

From this link seems it is!!! Good luck! Well it was for 2008 qualification so in theory (but not guaranteed) it will be for 2009!

I tend not to leave mine alone on the bench if I can help it - but will sit wth them whilst they chill out !

If he is happy then to the Special Beginners stakes as well Its all good experience
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-05-2008, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the link Rachel! Well nothing ventured and all that! Ive been to the hound shows there and its a great day out if nothing else and the boy will love the adventure!

Out of interest what type of setter do you have? Tuns love interest is an irish setter called connie, shes qualified for crufts next year, Colanme of isebrook or something like that? Shes only a youngster and tun is besotted with her

Deccy - whats a bench guard? a link to a pic would be greatfully received!
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2008, 08:42 AM
It's basically the top and front of a cage with fastenings so you can fit it to a bench and turn it into a secure space. Here's a link to one:

http://www.croftonline.co.uk/scp/Dog...nch_Guard.html

Cheaper than a crate and lighter to carry!
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2008, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
Thanks for the link Rachel! Well nothing ventured and all that! Ive been to the hound shows there and its a great day out if nothing else and the boy will love the adventure!

Out of interest what type of setter do you have? Tuns love interest is an irish setter called connie, shes qualified for crufts next year, Colanme of isebrook or something like that? Shes only a youngster and tun is besotted with her

Sorry D/monkey only just seen this - blind and bat me

I have an English, Irish and 3 Gordon Setters but I only show the Gordons - English was missing a vital bit of his manhood and the Irish lady is very old and gracious now!

I love all the setters though and will always have a soft spot for the Irish they are so elegant to look at!

Enjoy your day and I hope you will let us know how it goes
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >