Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2008, 08:01 PM

Isla - Spaniel (English Springer)

Ok, I have finally managed to get a decent photo of Isla trimmed and clean so she can finally be critiqued. I welcome your opinions, I know most of her faults so feel free to be honest. However please note: Constructive criticism only. I do not want a repeat of a previous thread.

This dog was born prior to the docking ban and is therefore legally docked.

Spaniel (English Springer)

General Appearance
Symmetrically built, compact, strong, merry, active. Highest on leg and raciest in build of all British land Spaniels.

Characteristics
Breed is of ancient and pure origins, oldest of sporting gundogs; original purpose was finding and springing game for net, falcon or greyhound. Now used to find, flush and retrieve game for gun.

Temperament
Friendly, happy disposition, biddable. Timidity or aggression highly undesirable.

Head and Skull
Skull of medium length, fairly broad, slightly rounded, rising from foreface, making a brow or stop, divided by fluting between eyes, dying away along forehead towards occipital bone which should not be prominent. Cheeks flat. Foreface of proportionate length to skull, fairly broad and deep, well chiselled below eyes, fairly deep and square in flew. Nostrils well developed.

Eyes
Medium size, almond-shaped, not prominent nor sunken, well set in (not showing haw), alert, kind expression. Dark hazel. Light eyes undesirable.

Ears
Lobular, good length and width, fairly close to head, set in line with eye. Nicely feathered.

Mouth
Jaws strong, with a perfect, regular and complete scissor bite, i.e. upper teeth closely overlapping lower teeth and set square to the jaws.

Neck
Good length, strong and muscular, free from throatiness, slightly arched, tapering towards head.

Forequarters
Forelegs straight and well boned. Shoulders sloping and well laid. Elbows set well to body. Strong flexible pasterns.

Body
Strong, neither too long nor too short. Chest deep, well developed. Well sprung ribs. Loin muscular, strong with slight arch and well coupled.

Hindquarters
Hindlegs well let down. Stifles and hocks moderately bent. Thighs broad, muscular, well developed. Coarse hocks undesirable.

Feet
Tight, compact, well rounded, with strong, full pads.

Tail
Previously customarily docked.
Docked: Set low, never carried above level of back. Well feathered with lively action.
Undocked: Set low, never carried above level of back. Well feathered with lively action. In balance with the rest of the dog.

Gait/Movement
Strictly his own. Forelegs swing straight forward from shoulder, throwing feet well forward in an easy free manner. Hocks driving well under body, following in line with forelegs. At slow movement may have a pacing stride typical of this breed.

Coat
Close, straight and weather resisting, never coarse. Moderate feathering on ears, forelegs, body and hindquarters.

Colour
Liver and white, black and white, or either of these colours with tan markings.

Size
Approximate height: 51 cms (20 ins).

Faults
Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog.

Note
Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum.

Thanks for looking.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2008, 08:15 PM
This is a nice bitch. I think she has quality without exaggeration, an overall, well balanced bitch that looks capable of a days work.

Being picky, Id prefer a more prominant brow and perhaps less "throat" but thats being very picky, I think she is a cracker!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2008, 08:17 PM
I love her, she's adorable...I can say no more than that really!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
This is a nice bitch. I think she has quality without exaggeration, an overall, well balanced bitch that looks capable of a days work.

Being picky, Id prefer a more prominant brow and perhaps less "throat" but thats being very picky, I think she is a cracker!
Thanks Dawn, I appreciate your opinion. I do agree, she is a tad throaty and has had critiques stating that she has a "very feminine head".

As for the days work, I'll let you know after the glorious 12th!

Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I love her, she's adorable...I can say no more than that really!
Thanks Ailsa, appreciate it.

I agree, I think she's bl**dy marvellous!
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2008, 08:41 PM
She is a beautiful girl and I love her markings and freckles
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2008, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
She is a beautiful girl and I love her markings and freckles
Thank you!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2008, 09:16 PM
I think she's stunning. She looks like a wee cracker to me. I love her colours and markings.
Colley1275
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-05-2008, 10:58 PM
I think Isla is beautiful !!

I absolutely love the black and white ESS, and I think she is one of the nicest ones I have seen !!

Good luck with her
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 11:17 PM
she's lovely hun I'd like a little more front angulation (but I think it might be how you have her stood) (ducks).
Love her head, and super top line.
I think she stunning as well hun.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
I think she's stunning. She looks like a wee cracker to me. I love her colours and markings.
Thank you.

Originally Posted by Colley1275 View Post
I think Isla is beautiful !!

I absolutely love the black and white ESS, and I think she is one of the nicest ones I have seen !!

Good luck with her
Thanks hun, appreciate it.

Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
she's lovely hun I'd like a little more front angulation (but I think it might be how you have her stood) (ducks).
Love her head, and super top line.
I think she stunning as well hun.
No, it's something I've wondered about on and off but I do think it is a lot to do the way I stand her. She has a tendency to lean back anyway, so having her hind legs stretched out probably doesn't help. Plus it's hard taking pics of a freestood Spaniel when you're on ya tod!

But no, I think you're right re front angulation - a little more wouldn't go a miss.

Thanks for your input.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >